What qualities do you look for in used Gadgets?

Discussion in 'Buying from TechGator' started by Juanpeace, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Juanpeace

Juanpeace
    Expand Collapse

A lot of consumers wants to have the latest gadgets in the market. The latest gadgets will boost our social image always ahead of the pack. a trend setter. Here comes Mr. Spendthrift he likes to have nice gadgets but he does not want to splurge on them, what he does is find the next best thing- look for used inventory in a reputable store.
    The question of buying used electronic gadgets is not just about its function and the warranty you get. What qualities do you look for before buying a Macbook or a used I-phone? are you brand conscious? do you look for freebies? what add-ons may attract you to buy used gadgets. Can you share some characteristics of a used gadget that may convince you to buy one.

techgator likes this.
  2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Quite frankly I have never bought a used tech gadget. And I don't think I ever will.
    I just don't see the point, tech is not THAT expensive unless you always want the newest thing... and surprise surprise you rarely find used "newest thing" until a long time after it was a new thing.

I'm quite low on these tech gadgets anyway... I just want what I need for my computer and my phone, that's it.

3. Pabmart

Pabmart
    Expand Collapse

I mainly check if they are a hundred percent usable, for example if I'm looking for a phone I'll have to see if the battery is ok and the screen is not broken or heavily scratched. Also, if I've already had a product of the brand that I'm looking it gives me a plus of confidence on the gadget.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I've never bought a used gadget either to be honest but if I was going to, age and what working condition it was in would be the main things I'd look for.

While a gadget might be in fully working order, if it's older then it may be coming towards the end of its life so may only last you a few months.

5. AngryItalian

AngryItalian
    Expand Collapse

I look for functionality, cosmetics are hardly important to me as long as it's not to the point where it makes the device unusable because I can't see the display. As long as all or most of the stock features function, like the hard drive and the memory, and it's all up to par to at least run the OS of my choice, I would be more than happy to pay a fair price for a used device.

6. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88
    Expand Collapse

I look to see if the warranty is voided or if the gadget has any kind of wear that will shorten it's lifespan. Also, I look to see if I can swap out old part for new so to lengthen the overall lifespan of the product since I don't want to pay for something that will die on me two weeks after I get it and if I can't do a little repair work on it myself. Basically, as long as it has the features I want and gives me the ability to mod and tweak it a bit, I'll buy it.

7. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

I mainly look at the condition if made available for review and the reputation of the seller. I don't have any issue with buying used tech if it sold by a reputable seller and in decent condition. I don't need new, I need functional.

8. btran

btran
    Expand Collapse

When it comes to buying used tech what's most important to me is the condition. It can be very hard to gauge condition without actually being able to see and use the technology, so I avoid buying used tech online. What would change that for me is a very highly reputable seller and very good return/exchange policies. That said, when I'm in person and I feel comfortable with the seller and everything works, then I'll buy. Add-ons or freebies are naturally nice but not my priority.

9. Summertime

Summertime
    Expand Collapse

I buy used tech products all the time. Many of them might have gone "obsolete" but are still very useful and not going to wear out for awhile. For instance: old mobile phones will work forever, so you can text/call for barely any money - those plans are cheap! As long as the phone works, you'll be paying prices 1/3rd of what they'd usually be. Also, not really gadgets, but patch cords, speakers, and headphones are all [usually] built to last, so I pick them up when it's worth it.

10. smtg

smtg
    Expand Collapse

I've never bought used either, but if I did it obviously needs to be almost as if it were never used. Nothing wrong with it, just used.

11. R34Dream

R34Dream
    Expand Collapse

I used to avoid buying used products -- that is, until I discovered the tremendous value that these devices have. Often, you can find devices in excellent condition for a heavy markdown, simply because they are used. The qualities that I look for when buying used are:
    • Condition - I don't like scratches on the screen, or any major scuffs on the housing. I usually use a case, so anything minor is fine.
    • Price - This is the whole reason to buy used! Without a good price, nothing is possible.
    • Age - I try to avoid buying devices that are too outdated for two reasons: 1) I don't want to embarrass myself :p and 2) I'm a tech buff and like having the latest stuff.
    Those sum up my top three things that I look out for.

12. briannagodess

briannagodess
    Expand Collapse

I guess for me, I'd look for these qualities:

1. It still looks nice and usable. Not too much scratches, no dents and no broken keys are in the gadget.

2. It has a nice speaker sound.

3. The battery still works fine. I'd try to have the owner charge it full and I'll play some games and see how it holds up.

4. The price is just enough for the quality of the used phone.

5. If it still has warranty, the better!

13. Merkximize

Merkximize
    Expand Collapse

First thing I look at is always fit & finish. If the exterior seems like it's been worn or deep cleaned, that's usually a sign to me that somebody reckless owned it, and you never know how well it's going to perform at that point. If it seems pretty tidy and kept, it usually means someone used it minimally and respectfully and it's probably a better bet.

14. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking for reasonable feeling of newness, by which I mean no huge scratches on the item, battery still going strong and the gadgets still working well (for what it is, obviously). I also want the item to have a reasonable price. In case of android smartphones, I would love if the smartphone in question was already rooted and without bloatware, cause some of them are downright impossible to root!

15. SashaS

SashaS
    Expand Collapse

I would never spend a cent on a device that has been used for more than a year. Processing power deteriorates and it's not worth it buying for example, demo models of devices. If you think of it, they're on hours per day, every day. The device must not have any noticeable scratches, especially on the screen. Battery life also deteriorates with age. The device must look good and still be reasonably powerful. I don't care too much for speakers and camera quality as I hardly use either. The operating system and version also matters.

Generally speaking, I don't like buying used devices as you don't get that wonderful, fresh unboxing experience that I love.