What mmorpgs have you played?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Looper, Nov 18, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

I'm not even sure why RO2 flopped. It looked more or less the same as the original, just with better graphics and a more thoroughly 3D world. Was there something fundamentally wrong with the game, or are there just too many similar MMOs for it to compete these days?

2. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

I remember that a lot of members of the fanbase of original RO hated the graphic style of the second one, and because of it refused to move on from the first game. Maybe not enough people cared about RO2. In general, it's a bad sign if the hardcore fanbase isn't excited about a new game from their favorite franchise/series.

3. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis
    Expand Collapse

The fanbase of the original RO didn't like the change in aesthetics in RO2. The reason many of the original players provided was that if they wanted a 3D world and better graphics they would've long moved to a different game (there are tons of those). They stuck with the RO because it provided them with a unique style and experience that none of the contemporary games provided. And RO2 apparently 'took that away'. So they chose not to transfer to the new game.

Elfprincess likes this.
  4. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for confirming what I thought. I was a kid back when RO2 came out, so I wasn't sure if the backlash toward the sequel was as common as I thought. I remember hating the 3D graphics. They weren't as detailed as RO's 2D ones, and looked rather poor and plasticky.
    Now that I googled them, they're not as bad as I thought, but they can't replace RO's unique 2D charm.

5. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

Fair enough. RO does have a fairly unique look, I'll give it that, and the sprites by and large are pretty cool. Especially some of the bosses. Though, uh, most of the time when I was playing I wanted to avoid the bosses like the plague...

6. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Same, they could kill you in matter of seconds! Trying to murder them with a bunch of friends was really fun, though.
    I remember being really creeped out by a boss that looked like a naked little girl. LOL
    All that Ragnarok talk makes me want to revisit the game...

7. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

It's F2P now, as far as I know. Plus there are probably still billions of private servers floating around out there... though you get so much experience on some of them that it almost makes playing the game silly...

8. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

The experience part sounds cool to me, you know? I hate having to grind in video games. It's not fun at all!
    Obviously going from level 1 to 60 in a matter of hours also kills the fun, but I've always wished that you had to grind less in RO.
    My memory could be faulty, though - I played RO 10 years ago and as a kid I had less computer privileges, so maybe that's why everything took me so long!

9. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

No, RO was extremely grindy, I agree. I remember it taking four or five hours just to work a Novice up to one of the basic job classes. That alone was a tedious, tedious slog. My issue with some of the private servers is that you got strong too quickly - one I visited would skyrocket you to level 30 or 40 by killing a single enemy. Within a few hours you were already in the hundreds of levels, and strong enough to kill bosses solo. Good for exploring on your own, I guess, but more or less the same as using a cheat code on any other game.

Elfprincess likes this.
  10. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Getting to level 40 after killing a single monster?
    THAT'S CRAZY!
    I mean, sure there must be a middle point between grinding for hours to level 10 and playing on God Mode?
    I don't see where there's fun in leveling up that fast...
    I mean, huge part of fun when it comes to playing MMORPG is seeing your character become stronger. It sucks when you need weeks in order to reach level 30, but this is terrible too...