What mmorpgs have you played?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Looper, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Looper

Looper
    Expand Collapse

Mmorpgs have been the most common online game before MOBAs. So there has been so many of them. So what mmorpg have you played?

I have played Dragonica/Dragon Saga, Rising Force, RAN, Rohan, and Eden Eternal. There's probably more but I forgot them already. Honestly, I regret wasting my time on them. I was a sucker for mmorpgs back then. Whenever there's something new, I try it. Sometimes I even spend money for them.

The only one I have really liked is Eden Eternal. Mainly because they have fun contests in their forums. It's not very competitive since there's no PK system. So you can grind without worrying that someone would kill you.

2. OctavianC

OctavianC
    Expand Collapse

I've played a lot of MMORPGs in my years of gaming, but I have to say that the one that really got me obsessed was Anarchy Online. I think it was a SF-type placed in the future and it was its complexity that got to me. You had a huge number of perks to spend your points on and each affected you differently. Also, the number of classes (with the Shadowlands expansion) was more than enough to suit my needs. I've also played Guild Wars 2 for a while but got bored and also Star Wars: The Old Republic (which is actually really nice but you fall behind really fast if you don't have a paid subscription and that's why I quit it). I haven't heard of Eden Eternal but I'll look it up. This discussion really made me nostalgic, I think I'll get Anarchy Online another try :D.

3. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

I was never a fan of these, but due to pressure from friends, I decided to give few of these games a shot. WoW was one largely popular back then and that's the one all of my friends have been playing so that was the first one I tried. I was never one to moan about graphics but they just didn't seem to fit with the tone of the game and the story and that knocked me out of the experience majorly. Plus, all of them were level 70 or 80 or whatever was the top level and I was level 1. Not fun.
    One game I actually had fun with is Path of Exile. I've discovered this one a little later, when I have somewhat stopped playing games on a daily basis, but I had fun with this one nonetheless.

4. dabdab

dabdab
    Expand Collapse

Recently, I've been trying out Guild Wars 2 with some of my friends playing along on the same story line with me. It's actually quite the fun game and frankly, I've tried a good deal of MMORPGs and some of them are legitimately great to play, especially with people you know in real life, games like Trove are a great example of a relatively good MMORPG, the developers are actively developing the game (despite the game being riddled with bugs, the developers fix it in a day or two) and always adding more and more content, the community is great and supportive and the paywall between paying and non-paying users isn't too steep, with free-to-play users simply able to grind for a bit more just to reach the level of paying users.

However, while there is a fair share of great MMORPGs out there, a lot of MMORPGs have turned into cash grabs for developers to actively force players to cough up money just to be able to play the game (looking at you Nexon and Maplestory).

So the MMORPG genre is really like a double-edged sword, when it's done correctly, it's great and keeps players actively engaged but when developers fail at it, it just becomes a horrible cash-grab.

5. Mandhlenkhosi

Mandhlenkhosi
    Expand Collapse

I don't play many mmorpgs, so my number is quite small. The first I ever played was Runescape, back in about 2008ish. I really enjoyed it at first, but it soon got too grindy for me. I eventually quit it, and haven't bothered going back since. I've played a little Guild Wars 2, but I just don't enjoy the fantasy setting. I've come to the assumption that most mmorpgs are not for me; I just dislike fantasy in general. Mix fantasy with the modern world and I love it, but without, it's a no-no for me.

6. Thejamal

Thejamal
    Expand Collapse

I sort of had a natural progression of going from Runescape, to World of Warcraft and then trying other ones along the way like SWOTR and Guild Wars 2. After WoW though, I just never really found an MMO that I could play for long as it just didn't feel as fun or good as WoW to me over the years. The game has certainly changed in WoD though and isn't as fun as it was a few years back. Holding out hope that Legion revitalizes the game as it looks like the changes they're making look really fun.

7. Skill

Skill
    Expand Collapse

I've played a lot of MMORPGs

Tera- Awesome combat, some of the most challenging dungeons I've ever played. Downside is it's repetitive

Vindictus, Amazing combat, but full of hackers, it's pay2win, and grindy

Guild Wars 2: I liked the living story, sadly they're moving away from that and more into expansions that you have to pay for

Planetside 2: Amazing massive FPS game, like a huge war that never stops

Elder Scrolls Online: good lore, but combat isn't very impressive.

Forsaken World: Had a spectacular soundtrack, sadly they replaced it and the game is kinda dead now too.

Rusty Hearts and Raiderz: Both amazing games, sadly both were shut down.

Archeage: Would be one of the best MMORPGs if it wasn't pay2win. Literally ruined by Trion

8. FinalFantasyX

FinalFantasyX
    Expand Collapse

I played some MMORPGs a lot, but the very first one I played was Tales Of Pirates when I was like 11. It was like World Of Warcraft, but just Free 2 Play and anime cartoon graphics. The world was huge and the more you walk, enemies are stronger. The second ever MMORPG that I have played was Fly 4 fun, which was fun! You could fly in the sky using some kind of skate and go to other islands and everywhere you want! I also tried Path Of Exile, but it's a bit buggy and I got latency issues with it. Now I'm looking to play some MMORPG game, but I'm not sure which one to start. I like Final Fantasy XIV, but it requires subscription :(

9. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

I have tried a ton of MMOs, mostly because I was hoping to find something to sink my time, into, until I would get a decent single player RPG. I really liked Vindictus, Rift, Tera (because of the giant bosses), as well as, Star Wars: The Old Republic (although I hate its F2P model) as well as Wildstar. Path of Exile is also a very good, free to play, MMO. Others I would recommend, are, Neverwinter and Star Trek Online.

10. Godaryuji

Godaryuji
    Expand Collapse

I only ever got into two MMORPGs in my entire life, and both were REALLY long ago. Like around a decade or so ago. Both are also F2P.

First one was Dream of Mirror Online. I only remember that there was an actual story, unlike most F2P MMORPGs, it had cutesy graphic styles and you could fly on your weapon. I dunno the current state of the game, but it's probably dead? It was from AeriaGames.

The second one was Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, which I only got into because it was a spin-off of the fantastic Shin Megami Tensei franchise. The demon summoning, fusing and negotating, all important elements of Shin Megami Tensei games, were kept for Imagine and that was what dragged me into the game. Like any other F2P MMORPG, though, it got kinda overly-grindy for my taste and I ended up quitting it many years ago. I wanted to go back a couple years back but they had moved servers so I had to start from scratch and I loathed that. Now the western servers are outright dead, though the game is still alive in Japan I think.

I'm looking into Dragon's Dogma Online, because it's based on one of my favorite action RPGs ever, but it's only available in Japan so you have to use VPNs and crap. I haven't set everything up to play it just yet, and my connection isn't that great, so I'm kinda wary. But I really do want to play it.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

I started with Helbreath back in the day. Such a great game then... though looking back at it it was pretty much just grinding all week long in preparation for the great "city war" on the weekends. Great fun.

Next one was yeeeears later, Age of Conan when it came out. It was quite fun for a couple of months but I quit after that... somehow it got boring plus the monthly fee (now removed) was against my principles: I don't want to pay to play a game that I already paid to own.

Now a bit of Entropia Universe every now and then. I wouldn't mind getting sucked into a new MMORPG but I find the genre quite lacking these days.

12. Thejamal

Thejamal
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, agreed with this. I don't know if it's just me getting older and I just don't care as much as I used to about gaming in general, but I just find myself bored more often than not. I think a big reason is World of Warcraft is so much worse than it used to be and that's the MMO I sunk the most of my time into and I never really got into any other type of game.

13. Asha

Asha
    Expand Collapse

EverQuest, GuildWars 2 and World of Warcraft. WoW is by far my favorite. I'm currently playing Heros of the Storm though which is fighting game.

14. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

Ragnarok Online was the first MMO I ever played, and it's the only one that earned a massive investment of my time. A smaller, RTS MMO called Shattered Galaxy had me for a while, too, mainly because it reminded me so much of Starcraft, but I gave up on it once the pay-to-win scale became blatantly obvious. I think the only MMO I've played in recent memory is WoW, and that was only for a month.

15. Havok360

Havok360
    Expand Collapse

I've played Ran and Rohan as well but the MMORPG that really stuck to me was Ragnarok, it ran for 11 years and to be honest I'll still enjoy playing it today. I enjoy the idea of levelling up and customization along with making friends through guild wars. Those were really great times as I also played with my siblings.

16. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

I really loved Ragnarok Online too! It was so fun, and I loved the 2D art style.
    It's a shame that RO2 flopped. Wish that they released RO3 with a high definition 2D graphics.

17. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

It probably wont. The damage is done and over half of the paying subscriber base is gone with no signs of coming back. The Wrath of the Lich King was the last expansion that did any justice to the story line, more recent expansions are a stretch if not completely unbelievable. Blizzard has gotten good at adding new ways to just grind and destroying the lore.

18. bleblanc10

bleblanc10
    Expand Collapse

I used to play some runescape back in the day!

19. Petesede

Petesede
    Expand Collapse

I´ve played almost all of them going back to Ultima Online. Asheron´s call, Earth and Beyond, WOW.. but probably my favorite is Dungeons and Dragons Online, which is older now but still a lot of fun. I´ve also played all the $50 games that are now free to play SWTOR, AOC, GW2, and all the other WOW killers that died.

20. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis
    Expand Collapse

I didn't play a lot of MMORPGS, but I've played a few. The most notable ones are WoW, Lineage 2, Guild wars and Guild Wars 2, The Elder Scrolls Online, Skyforge, TERA, Rift, Lord of the Rings Online and some Vindictus.