What is SEO?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing and SEO' started by UnslaadKrosis, Feb 6, 2016.

1. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis
    Expand Collapse

Well, it's something almost everyone heard about, but very few 'know' about it. And not surprisingly, I'm in the second group. So what exactly is SEO? And how do you SEO 'optimise' your article? Feel free to share your thoughts!

2. R34Dream

R34Dream
    Expand Collapse

SEO is short for Search Engine Optimization, but you already knew that. The easiest way to explain it is this: SEO is a term referred to the ways of getting your website to appear at the top of Search Engines' lists. There are numerous paths to go about it but the main one for forums like this one is by adding useful and unique content to your website so that you don't have much competition. Once you start building up on this, you will eventually have a ton of people who will follow ALL of your content. This further moves your webpage up the ladder and BAM, you have a pretty popular site with a good amount of visitors.

3. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis
    Expand Collapse

Ooh! So that's what it was! It's like if you write a phrase on the search toolbox and some sites come on top of the other, right? Now I understand why, and (well, kinda) how they do it.

Anyways, what is more important to SEOptimise a website, unique content that has very little competition and caters to a particular niche? Or SEO keywords? (I don't know how they're even different from ordinary keywords, but I digress).

4. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

More important? Both and neither. It depends.

SEO is a tricky beast. It receives more attention than it should, because it encourages people to focus on a lot of small things which distract from what's really important to a website. These factors can include:
    • Keywords / keyword stuffing
    • Keywords in titles
    • Meta tags in images
    • Copious backlinks, preferably ones from reputable sources
    • Social media engagement
    • Pinging updates
    • Article descriptions
    • Loading time on your website
    • Original content - it doesn't even have to be particularly good, it just can't be identical to something else
    • Ad placement
    • Social media boosts, such as giving a site a 'like' on Google + or whatnot
    All of these things are generally good, but I find that users who focus too much on SEO lose sight of the primary goal of content creation, which is to provide an interesting, engaging experience for your visitors. Try to incorporate too many keywords and your articles sound stiff and stupid; bombard social media and other sites in the hopes of getting backlinks and you'll probably end up annoying users; try to game the system too much and Google may smack you down. The other problem with focusing on SEO is that it's largely guesswork, because search engines (namely Google) change their rules all the time, and users work on educated guesses more than actual knowledge.

Your first and foremost goal should always be to create useful content for your users. Providing a unique, entertaining, and engaging experience will interest people, and they'll start to do all the work of advertising for you by passing the link to your site around. Then search engines will pick you up of their own accord, and you won't even have to worry about SEO.

(Oh, and 'keywords' and 'SEO keywords' are more or less the same thing. Anything can be a keyword, so long as it's specific enough. I'd actually say that key phrases are more important, since keywords don't always do enough to draw a search engine's attention.)

R34Dream likes this.
  5. SirJoe

SirJoe
    Expand Collapse

There is only one more thing that should be added to this list and that would backlink generation. This is very important in SEO.

6. Sparkster

Sparkster
    Expand Collapse

Well, there are different types of SEO. For example, you might want to focus on SEO for SERP's in order to increase organic traffic. Or you might want to concentrate on social media SEO in order to take advantage of websites like Facebook and Twitter. The most important things are to avoid keyword stuffing, be unique, original and informative and provide decent original content. When it comes down to it, content is king.

7. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

Also, I think the phrase 'content is king' has to be mentioned at least once in every discussion of SEO. At least once.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

The phrase 'content is king' does seem to make an appearance many times whenever SEO is being discussed, but the truth is, no matter what else is said, no matter what company you use to do SEO on your site or you do it yourself, after all the techniques have been discussed, they only work if you have quality content to implemnt the SEO on.

The phrase does get rolled out probably a little too often for my liking aswell, but that doesn't make it any less true.

9. Lynk

Lynk
    Expand Collapse

Definitely agree with those here saying that quality content is the most important. In fact google really does at least try to design their algorithms in such a way to bring up relevant, quality content. I have done a fair amount of blogging for hire and found pretty good success. The most important thing is to stay on topic, avoid being scammy, and yes write with some keywords in mind. The keywords should be on topic of course so if you are writing quality content with relevant keywords you should see some success on google.

Also if you are really interested in it, you should look into "long tail keywords" and what this means for webmasters. Basically the more quality writing you can put on your site, the better you will do in google. Yes, backlinks are great, but.... the best way to get these is just to write and share good quality content!

10. Merkximize

Merkximize
    Expand Collapse

My definition of SEO is a little bit different, as I've been in/around the industry since 19 (6 years) and I have been writing on the subject for the last 3 years. SEO under the hood is one thing: getting views from search engines. The "O" is what's really important, what's optimized to you? You're just making your site more attractive to search engines, doing what it takes to make them believe your site is the best. Most people focus on the minor details without understanding that sometimes optimized is sitting in 4th place for little effort and slow-playing the competition, sometimes it's ignoring backlinks and focusing on pinterest because it will get you more traffic today, etc. It's just 1 part of the cogwheel of generating more views because views = impressions = ctr = $ if monetized = true