What did you get from steam?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by crimsonghost747, Jan 5, 2016.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

So the yearly gamers paradise aka Steam holiday sale is over. What did you guys and gals get yourself this year?

I went with project zomboid to play with a couple of friends and door kickers for some tactical fun! And Pathologic HD due to a good recommendation from this forum. ;) So 3 cheap-ish games for me, that will be enough for a while. :)

2. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

A friend gifted me Football Manager 2016 knowing how much I love that series. Shame he didn't know I'm still very attached to my 2015 save and I barely have time to play that.

3. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

Picked up the first two Fallout games to round out the collection. I know they play differently from the modern shooters, and I'm looking forward to a more tactical experience in the same world. Just have to get past the kinda bleh graphics, and I think I can manage.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Good ones! I fell in love with the fallout series through Fallout 2, it was simply amazing. But while I don't mind the graphics in general I have to say that now we are going so far back in time that the game is actually getting hard to play because of the poor graphics.
    A good alternative would be Wasteland 2. Very similar gameplay though the story didn't manage to grab my attention one bit and thus the game because quite boring after a while.

5. TheViper

TheViper
    Expand Collapse

Well, I also got in on that Humble Bundle which included a lot of great games. I also got the Life Is Strange season for cheap. Yet, I also ordered the limited edition so I think it is safe to say that I am completely sold on LIS.

6. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

All I seem to get is obscure titles and less space on my hard disk lately. My gaming focus has been elsewhere I guess. Steam is good for indie games but you have to sort through a lot of garbage to find something good at times. There are some good games to be had on steam, but my favorites I already got via other methods.

7. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

I'd heard that about Wasteland, yeah. Good game, meh story. I've played and enjoyed Dwarf Fortress before, and that consists of ASCII characters dancing around on your screen, so I can probably survive a dose or two of Fallout's fugly graphics. I'll probably stop paying attention to them after the first hour or two anyway.

8. bleblanc10

bleblanc10
    Expand Collapse

Counter strike was the first game I ever got fro steam.

9. btran

btran
    Expand Collapse

I have very fond memories of the Fallout franchise from my youth. Fallout 1 and 2 were amazing games and I spent many hours exploring all the different story lines and character builds. For it's time the franchise was very innovative and the open world was massive. The post-apocalyptic theme was engrossing and the lack of online resources made me actually explore the game content rather than researching everything on a wikia.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed Fallout New Vegas and it's add-ons, and I'm excited to play Fallout 4 when I get around to buying it.

In terms of Steam games I recently picked up Punch Club and it's a great game for what it is. Really addicting and strangely satisfying, good for at least 10-15 hours. The storyline is pretty hilarious and the reference game in the game is on point.

10. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

Ooo, Punch Club. I spotted that when it was during development and it looks pretty cool. If nothing else I really like the graphical choices they made - the sprites look awesome. I'm a little surprised no one has ever bothered to make a boxing management game up to this point, 'cause it seems like a natural choice for a video game. Guess most developers figured the players would want to do the punching themselves.

11. Tick

Tick
    Expand Collapse

All I got myself this time around was KOTOR I and II. Watching TFA has got me on sort of a Star Wars kick, and I'm really enjoying myself so far. I found the sale a little underwhelming this time around. I didn't like how the sale had the same deals the entire way through. I think it's a lot easier to impulse-buy when you're seeing a new deal every day.

12. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

If 'all' you got were the KOTOR games, then you did real good. Those games are great.

One recommendation, though, if you haven't seen it already. KOTOR II is a great game, but it's largely considered to be incomplete. Mainly because it was. Production on it got rushed long before it should have been put on the shelves, so much of the game near the end feels horribly rushed, and an entire area got snipped. That said, there was a team of fan modders who set about restoring that area based on the cut content, and I think the developers liked their work so much that there's a more or less official patch of the fan thing available. If it doesn't appear in the game already you might want to hunt it down. Something about a robot factory, as I recall...?

13. njperson

njperson
    Expand Collapse

The last game I got from Steam was actually the original Fable, though to be 100% honest I can't remember if it was this year or late last year. Anyway, I love that game. It's an easy game to just sit back and kill some time with. Plus, it's witty and entertaining. Such a great game. :)

Elfprincess likes this.
  14. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

I played Fable a 2 years after it got released and I really liked how Zelda-inspired it was, but I was also really disappointed, because it was supposed to be this great hero simulation RPG where you can do pretty much everything, and it ended up being a standard action RPG with quirks like being worshipped by peasants and having a wife.
    I want to play the newer Fable games, though.

15. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak for Fable: The Journey, because I have no interest in getting a Kinect just to play one game, but Fable 3 wasn't that much different from Fable 2. The story feels a little more epic, but the ending is pretty anti-climactic. A lot of the mechanics that were meant to make Fable unique are just a hassle, as well - property maintenance is time-consuming and dull, jobs are repetitive minigames, your families are largely faceless throwaways... meh. On paper it sounds like a great game, but it doesn't live up to its description.