What Causes Low Computer Memory?

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Computer Hardware' started by Sasha, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Sasha

Sasha
    Expand Collapse

I'm trying to stay calm, but sheesh. I'm suddenly getting messages from my laptop that my computer is "low on memory." It advises me to close Firefox and then immediately suggests that I restart it. Does anyone know what causes poor computer memory? I've never had this problem before it my life, and it really is a drag (no pun intended). I also use this laptop for work purposes, and then last thing I need is for my computer programs to start going slow on Monday. It's not a good thing. Maybe I should uninstall FireFox? If anyone has any advice on fixing low computer memory, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

2. English

English
    Expand Collapse

Hi my name is Stephen. Perhaps the simplest reason you're running low on internal memory is because you don't have enough installed to handle all you want your computer to do. Your computer's motherboard can handle a certain amount of RAM, which may or may not be equal to the amount you have installed. To check the RAM amount in Windows 8, open the Task Manager and click on Performance. Select CPU and Memory to see the specifications of your system. Compare the installed RAM with the total amount the computer can handle by checking your manufacturer's website and install more if necessary.

Sasha likes this.
  3. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Yep, there might be two issues there, one very well mentioned by Stephen, you might have low memory and you can check it in the Task Manager. Second, you might have viruses that are consuming memory, so one of these two is happening.

Sasha likes this.
  4. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

If you're only getting it using Firefox, you should check the cookies and while you're at it, it would be good to check Windows registry. That's after running an anti-virus program of course. There are certain malware or other similar viruses out there that are very good at infiltrating your PC.

Sasha likes this.
  5. baldyhead

baldyhead
    Expand Collapse

You could probably go for a general PC Tuneup. I use to see a huge performance increase when I did them for companies like GeekSquad and Microsoft Answer Desk. If your interested you can send me a message and we can go over it in more details of what you need to do. The short version would be run CCleaner, remove any junk that you don't need especially toolbars. Remove anything from startup you don't need. Run through a few scans with Malware Bytes or Super Anti Spyware. And maybe run a sfc scan to make sure your system files are warm and fuzzy.

Sasha likes this.
  6. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Interesting that you mention firefox because actually I had memory issues while using chrome. As we can see in the system manager, every single tab of chrome starts a new process and obviously that consumes a lot of memory.

Sasha likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

The age of the device also affects the memory use and if it's a few years old, the RAM won't be functioning as it did when it was brand new.

In that way computers are like people, the older they get, the less memory they have!

Sasha likes this.
  8. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Why do you say that pwarbi, the memory won't be working as good as new? I had 1GB RAM (ridiculous I know) in an old laptop, upgraded to 3GB and it's flying now because I have XP on it, so it depends on what we are running on the computer.

Sasha likes this.
  9. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

No, I'm not saying Firefox is inherently worse for memory. In fact, Chromes is a memory muncher, but I think the issue may in the browser since (from what I understand) the problem starts when starting up Firefox.

Sasha likes this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha
    Expand Collapse

Thank you all for your thoughtful and detailed replies. I sincerely appreciate it. Unfortunately, I am now on a borrowed computer because that one is not powering on anymore. It starts up and the light is on, but the screen is black and you can only see the mouse / cursor. I'm guessing it means the memory gave out and won't start now. I will have to take it to the Geek Squad. From what I told them by phone, they believe they can retrieve all of my data for a fee. I will probably give them the information in this thread to see if a tune up, a virus scan, or installing more RAM will solve the problem.

I googled around and have seen suggestions that included removing/replacing the battery, to taking out the memory card and cleaning it with an actual pencil eraser. I wish it were that simple, but I don't know. It just sucks because the truth is that I probably just have a lot stored on that one computer, plain and simple. Even this borrowed computer tells me that FireFox results in a lot of CPU usage if I have too many windows open.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

11. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure that you understand completely how memory functions. Depending on how old your computer is I would recommend that you let a professional take a look at it before you try tinkering with it on your own. I wouldn't normally say that, but I'm not sure by your post that you understand the technology well enough to be trying to fix this yourself. I of course in no way mean to be insulting, I just think that in this case it is better.

Sasha likes this.
  12. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

Telling people to alter or otherwise change the registry either manually or with software without knowing exactly what the issue is or what change needs to be made is bad advice. Unless this is a very old computer running something like Windows 95 registry cleaning or defragmenting will do nothing for performance. Editing the registry could make issues worse.

oportosanto likes this.
  13. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

This shows a clear misunderstanding of how memory is properly utilized on modern hardware. Unused ram is wasted ram. Chrome in fact will run faster because of the processes that it stores in memory.

14. Sasha

Sasha
    Expand Collapse

Again, I am by no means insulted by what anyone says! I admit myself that I don't know what I'm doing. That's why I posted the thread lol. Everything I listed that I would look into, I mean to say that I will take your suggestions to the Geek Squad. I don't know how to do it myself, even if I wanted to. So attempting to fix it would be useless - I can't even get the screen to appear. The computer isn't even that old, it's just that there is so much stored on it. Then it started performing poorly, then I get messages regarding "low computer memory," and finally it doesn't turn on all the way at all. The only reason I said it's a memory issue....is because that's what the computer itself said before deciding not to turn on all the way at all. The main thing is I wanted to know what causes low computer memory so that I am able to prevent this from happening to myself and perhaps others in the future. It's frustrated not to have your device and scary if you feel that all of your information is at risk.

15. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, so true. Messing up with the registry can definitely brings a lot of trouble. Plus, it's totally unrelated to he memory issues that you mention, so I'd just try to upgrade it or see what software we don't might be using our precious memory.

16. cortana

cortana
    Expand Collapse

17. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

Don't use the registry cleaning functions if you choose to download this, it isn't safe and won't help. Contrary to popular belief, freeing up storage space doesn't speed your system up either.

@cortana you probably should have read the whole thread before just responding with a link. You would have seen that it wasn't the answer to the topic and that registry cleaning doesn't work.

18. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

I don't even understand the purpose or registry clean and you're right @nytegeek, having more memory is unrelated as far as I understand it. Messing with registry can cause serious damage.

19. baldyhead

baldyhead
    Expand Collapse

ccleaner offers a lot more than just a registry cleaner function. It's a nice, easy to follow dashboard that will let you clean up wasted space, modify programs that launch at startup, clean registry errors (which can potentially improve overall performance, but I agree you shouldn't touch it unless you know what you're looking at) and one really great and potentially very helpful feature in this case is it helps to remove unwanted toolbars that are often unintentionally installed onto the browsers.

20. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

CCleaner doesn't give more memory to the computer, it just cleans space. Eventually it can also clean programs or processes that are running in the background and that might free some memory.