The Witcher

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Keili, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Keili

Keili
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone played The Witcher series?

I usually play Japanese role-playing games because they tend to be more plot-driven, however The Witcher surprised me. I was very impressed with the world, game play, characters and story. The third part was really epic, especially the ending. For people who have not played it, I won't spoil it. :D

If you have played the game, what was your overall experience with it? I loved every second of it. It's a shame because the next installment will take years to produce. :(

2. Jordan1994

Jordan1994
    Expand Collapse

It's a pretty good game. Graphics are really good, and so is the story line. Didn't really notice any glitches or anything like that either. Overall I would say it's worth buying. It's fun.

3. comlink

comlink
    Expand Collapse

It was hyped up a lot during the trailers, and I can say it was worth it, just looking at the graphics is amazing, if you have a higher end well built pc, and you let that run at higher settings, it is amazing what they can do, the gameplay is just as savage as you think it is, and the story was A+

4. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

I haven't played the newest Witcher yet, but I picked up the first two games during a Steam sale when the third one came out. They're certainly robust, but I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on the series yet. The story of the first one hasn't quite grabbed me by the throat after six hours of gameplay. I'm still hoping it'll change my mind if / when I go back, because the third instalment looks awesome.

5. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

I played The Witcher series for a lot of hours and finished both the first and the second. I am really impressed with the setting, the story and game world in general. I have not played the 3rd part yet, because of hardware issues, but it is definitely one of the best RPG games of 2015. It is really a shame that the series will end with The Witcher 3. I would have wanted more.

6. mandagrace_ak

mandagrace_ak
    Expand Collapse

I've been meaning to play this (a free copy of Witcher III came with my graphics card when I built my PC). Heard it was decent, but that all the characters are sorceresses that want to bone, which feels a little... silly. Any truth to this?

7. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Give it a shot, it's an amazing game! It's true that Geralt gets way too many ladies, but there are not that many of them in this game, and most of it is important to the plot (Yennefer is his true love, Triss is their friend who had an unrequited crush on Geralt for years and during The Witcher 2 even tried to brainwash the Witcher into loving her). Believe me, the Witcher series is much more than just a romance, which you can avoid (but probably won't want to). The game explores many issues, and one of the most important parts of the plot is Geralt's search for his adopted daughter.
    You will laugh and cry during playing this game, this I can guarantee.

Chris_A likes this.
  8. Thejamal

Thejamal
    Expand Collapse

I haven't played the series, but the Witcher 3 was extremely enjoyable to play through. It's rare that a game often lives up to the hype, but I think the Witcher 3 was a game that did just that. Great game-play, was intrigued in following the story throughout the game. Were the first 2 games just as good? Would anyone who's played them say they are worth the time?

9. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

That is exactly it. The Witcher series has nothing to do with romances in general, and is more like a gritty world full of backstabbing and politics. Much like Game of Thrones, in a certain way. the romance aspect is more like a fun little mini game, which will give you a good laugh or two. And let`s be honest, Geralt`s romantic encounters can be really funny. :D

10. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

I would say that it's definitely worth playing the older Witcher games! I have to warn you that each one is better than the previous, so you need to adjust your expectations. The first two games don't have an open world. They're fun and have interesting plot - the Witcher series' selling point have always been difficult moral choices that you'll have to make, and engaging characters. I only played Polish language version, so I'm not sure how good is the translation, but Witcher has AMAZING humor, of the ironic and laughing at the world kind. You will laugh a lot.
    Give them a go.

Yes! Can't believe I didn't mention the politics part, it's very important part of Witcher plotline in general. I also adore the whole fantasy racism issue and always side with Elves and dwarves. I appreciate that the games are not scared of showing that opressed people are capable of doing terrible shit.
    I love the dating thing, in a way it adds realism :D And seeing Yennefer made me cry, because I really like her character from the books.
    It upset me that Triss was as close to her as Geralt could get in the past titles.

11. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

You read the books? That is really cool. I haven`t gotten into the books yet, to my shame, but I am definitely planning too. I heard a lot about Yennefer and Geralt`s relationship, but NOT having read the books, I always thought Triss to be his true love. Just goes to show how really interconnected the books are, with the game.

12. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Yeah! After all, they're a real hit in Poland, and were around since the early 90's (not all parts, obviously). I recommend giving them a go, they're really good. You will have completely different feelings regarding the games and characters. Obviously not everybody who read the books loves Yennefer, cause she's rather difficult, but I find their love story extremely touching and compelling (though obviously it's not the main part of plot). Even though Yennefer and Geralt fight and break up, they would go to hell for each other. Also Yennefer, Geralt and Ciri are pretty much a family in the books - she's the child both of them wanted, but couldn't have due to infertility.
    Seeing them together in the game really touched me.
    Forgive my ranting, they were my OTP/OT3 for many, many years before the first game even came out :)

Chris_A likes this.
  13. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

No worries. It is really good to know these things and you have given me great info about the books and the Witcher universe in general. Now I am more inclined then ever to read the books. I will probably do that after I finish The Witcher 3, and then I will probably replay all 3 games because I read the books and want more. :D

14. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

I'm happy that I helped you! The books are really easy to get into, because the first two ones (The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny) containg a bunch of connected short stories that establish characters and themes of latter 5 volumes, which are one saga. From what I know, English fan-translation exists (though the books are also published, but I guess not all are available right now?). Even reading those two volumes will enhance your enjoyment of Witcher 3, because you'll get to know Yennefer and Ciri.
    There's also the Witcher TV series (tho I think that it's called The Hexer for some reason) but it's been made on a really low budget, and it's considered horrible even by fans in Poland. The only good thing about it is Michał Żebrowski as Geralt, because he nails the role both in looks and performance. I mention it for the sake of completness and because I know that some people decided to give it a go anyway.
    There's gonna be a new movie series, directed by Tomasz Bagiński (of short movie Cathedral fame) and in English. I'm really looking forward to it!
    Witcher fans have been waiting forever for this to happen, to be honest.

15. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

Very cool that a new series will come out. I checked out the old series, and it was pretty bad, to be honest, but still contained enough Witcher-mood to be watchable. :D It is called The Hexer, because it is the German translation of the term Witcher. Although I don`t know why a Polish series would go for a German translation. As for the books, I will probably read the first two in English, and the rest in German, because I heard the books have been completely translated to German, long before they were translated to English.

16. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for explaining The Hexer thing, I had no idea where it came from. To be honest, "I have no idea what they were thinking" is a good description of pretty much everything related to the first Witcher tv series. I mean, there were some good things about it if you tried to look for them, but yeah... I could never get over the Elves (and the cutie Dandellion) looking ugly as hell.
    I think that this song (english translation of lyrics on the right side) is beautiful, and perfectly describes Geralt's love toward Yennefer.

17. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

That was a really nice song, and now that I remembered the actor, he truly got the role of Geralt down. Makes me look forward to the new series, and hopefully they will cast an equally good actor for the role.

18. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. Hope that the new actor won't be too stereotypical, or rather generic. I'm glad that Geralt's characterisation has been established not only in the books, but also in the games, so they won't mess it up in the movies and make him OOC.
    I hope that Thania St. John won't mess up the scenario.

19. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

They will probably go all out and make the show as similar to the games as possible, that including the looks of Geralt in the show. As most people have come to know The Witcher universe only through the games, the TV show producers will most likely focus on them, for the established fanbase of the games.

20. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, and that's a wonderful thing, since the game's creators did a perfect job of representing the book Geralt.
    I'm just worried about the scenario - it shouldn't be that hard to change the two short stories into a movie, but the screenwriter has only written TV series episodes, so yeah...
    I'm glad that the Witcher goes to Hollywood, but it's a shame that the people that work on the movie series (other than Bagiński) are not exactly renowned.