Steam Controller

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Gertrude, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Gertrude

Gertrude
    Expand Collapse

image.jpg
    I'm very curious about this controller and I'm thinking I'll probably be buying one at some point. I like the idea that there is still some innovation to be made to the controller design, but it seems like the new design isn't making too many waves because I don't hear much buzz about it. I still think it's a good effort though and I really am looking forward to testing it myself. Maybe their next design will be even better based on what they learned from this one.

Anyone have any experience with the Steam controller? What did you think of it? What improvements would you like to see made?

2. SashaS

SashaS
    Expand Collapse

I think it will take some time to get used to. I like that it is unique and works with Steam itself which is great. My only problem is compatibility. How many game developers do you think, will go through the time and effort to integrate this controller into their games, especially since it's a rather niche product. Most people who aren't massive fans of the Steam platform will most likely opt for the Xbox controller before this one, simply because they know which games it will work with and the fact that it integrates so well with Windows itself. I think the controller is a great addition to a Steam machine, but your standard Windows PC user may not find it as attractive.

The only thing I would change on the controller is the "bubbly-ness" of the buttons, a more modern look i.e matte may be better. But that's just my opinion. I know a lot of people will like it and buy it.

3. insane_pm

insane_pm
    Expand Collapse

I haven't tried it, but I heard that if you bought XCOM 2 alongside it you can get a pretty decent deal on it. I think that it's a great accommodation for people who enjoy gaming with controllers (which I don't.) and the touch responsiveness of the buttons could be an interesting concept if done well.