SEO Tips

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing and SEO' started by briannagodess, Jan 24, 2016.

1. briannagodess

briannagodess
    Expand Collapse

Here are my tips for creating a blog post or article that's SEO worthy:

1. Plan your post or article ahead of time. You need to draft it before writing it. You need to know whether it's relevant, its purpose, its audience and how you're going to execute it.

2. Paragraphs and Headings. Use headings for organisation and SEO optimisation. Google can manage to understand the gist of an article or post just by its headings. Then, your readers can also understand what your article is about just by reading the headings.

For your paragraphs, understand what each paragraph should have. Each paragraph should have its own topic. If you delve into another topic, it's time to change paragraphs.

3. There is no minimum or maximum set of words given to us but generally it should be 300-700 words per article. Use your keywords appropriately, not too much that it seems in your face to the readers.

4. Link to previous content because it will make your rank in Google higher.

Do you have any more tips to add?

pwarbi likes this.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for sharing these tips to us here, briannagodess. Very relevant and helpful.

Also, to avoid being banned by Google, don't ever attempt to copy/paste posts, and don't pepper your content with too many keywords.

briannagodess and pwarbi like this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

Only other tips that I'd like to add, are make sure you only use white hat SEO techniques. Black hat techniques do work but I just don't think it's worth getting caught and trust me, eventually you will get caught, no matter how careful you are.

briannagodess likes this.
  4. briannagodess

briannagodess
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for adding those tips @pwarbi and @dyanmarie25! Plagiarism is something that we should all avoid. It can lead to bad reputation and banning as you said. Even when quoting someone, you have to put resource, a link and quotation marks. Don't forget that.

As for white hat techniques, good point on that. We should only do legal SEO techniques so we don't risk our blogs or sites. It's better to be on the safe side than end up getting caught and being banned.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe
    Expand Collapse

When creating your posts remember that your keyword count is important. If don't remember the exact percentage it should be but if you do a search you should be able to find it.

6. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

One of the main things I believe is to keep up with the changes of the google algorithm, if we are able to do that and we consistently get the best results we will have success.

7. Petesede

Petesede
    Expand Collapse

This is no longer true. About 5-10 years ago it was, but Google has taken a pretty drastic stance against keyword stuff. They have states repeatedly that there is no magic % they are looking for, but that if your text seems unreadable because you are trying to stuff keywords, they will penalize you.

As for the OP. One thing you mentioned is paragraph headlines. Just to add that if you know HTML .. what you want to do is use <H3> tags for your paragraph headings, and <H1> tags for your main article title. These tags will help googlebot hone in on the information you are earmarking as titles.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

While a lot of tried and tested SEO techniques will still work as well as they always have, there are some changes that Google have made that won't make a difference, and the keyword rule is one of them.

All the time I think Google are subtly changing the way they work, and it's up to us to try and keep up with how they do things.

9. 111kg

111kg
    Expand Collapse

Even though the SEO on page doesn't add a lot of value, it can surely damage your ranking. Don't put a lot of keywords, don't stash them like there is no tomorrow and don't put all your ads on top of your content, because Googgle will send you to its last pages.

I would add not to care so much about links. The era of free SEO is DEAD. No more article directories, no more web directories, no more comments and so on, for real. Rather then spending $50 for 10,000 worthless links, buy 2 blog posts on blogs that are relatively known.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe
    Expand Collapse

Yes you will get good results but it's not easy to do, google changes it's algorithm every so often and it's not easy to keep up.

11. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I am guessing it's a job for the professionals, that is why there is so much information about SEO and professionals working in this area are so well paid.

12. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for those tips. I'm getting into SEO cause I want to get a job in it in the future, as well as gain audience for the novel that I'm working on. Does anybody knows what's the best website on SEO? There are so many guides and information on the topic, I don't know where to start!
    I want to know all the ins and outs, but there's so much content to read that I'm sort of lost.

13. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

The problem with SEO is that the specifics change all the time, so articles that proclaim to be accurate one or two years ago may no longer be relevant. I've found it much easier to rely on forums for up-to-date news, and SEO forums are everywhere.

All in all it's probably wiser to ignore SEO and focus on creating good, solid content. Spread it through social media, get movers and shakers in your niche reading your stuff, and just generally work on improving your writing. SEO tends to take care of itself.

Elfprincess likes this.
  14. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the reply. I see your point about ignoring SEO, but I want to know more on the topic because there's a lot of good jobs nowadays that require knowledge of social media campaigns as well as SEO. Because I'm finishing my master's degree which is related to those topics, my safest bet is working with social media. I guess I'll have to subscribe to good SEO boards :)

I really need to start running my blog, but I have SO MANY questions stopping me. Like I know that quality content is the most important thing, but I still worry that nobody will find my blog. How do I avoid that sad fate without spamming people and seeming desperate?

15. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

The best reply I can give is to answer questions that other writers haven't, then spread those answers to the people who want them. Google is surprisingly good at hunting down sites with answers to common queries, so long as you submit your site to Google's crawlers as quickly as possible. This gets more complex as your niche becomes more and more crowded, so if you want to avoid competition you need to target niches, or even just sections of niches, that other people have ignored.

The thing about SEO is that so much of it is simply writing good content in the first place. SEO is built by Google to ferret out the good content creators from the bad and put them where they belong in the search rankings. If you're writing understandable and entertaining articles with good, clear titles then you're already more than halfway along in satisfying the requirements of SEO. You also have to bear in mind that ranking highly in search engines usually takes time, so regardless of your zeal for a project you need to be patient for a while before you see any huge results.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

Also when your starting a blog, while SEO is important, at the beginning it's not make or break.

Social media advertising, and even advertising in forums that you'd think would enjoy your blog are also more ways to get visitors, without going down the full on SEO route.

17. Sparkster

Sparkster
    Expand Collapse

Having paragraphs and sections with titles and subtitles (if necessary) is a good idea. Also, make sure to avoid keyword stuffing, especially in titles and do not use your title within the text of your article. It's also a good idea to check your keyword density. Include images and videos where appropriate and attribute them to their correct source. Be original, be unique.