League of Legends

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Rexxar, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Rexxar

Rexxar
    Expand Collapse

Since it's the most played game in the world right now, it seems fair that League of Legends has to get its own thread. How does everyone feel about this game?

What is your current division and favorite roles/champions to play?

2. Tuebec

Tuebec
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I tried the game for about half a day and couldn't get into it. The controls didn't really work for me, the game as a whole didn't seem that intuitive. I also didn't feel like anything special happened in it that I couldn't get in other games. It kind of seemed run-of-the-mill for an MMORPG. Maybe things have changed since I tried it out though -- it has been quite a while. I wish I had liked it more, I hear a lot of great things about it.

3. Asha

Asha
    Expand Collapse

I'm with Tuebec. I tried to get into it but just couldn't. I got sucked into World of Warcraft and that game's had its hooks in me from day one.

4. PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza
    Expand Collapse

I played it for a pretty long time, but I stopped long ago. The player base is just so toxic! You can have a score of 8/3/8 and still be called a feeder. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. I have instead moved on to Heroes of the Storm.

Epicfied likes this.
  5. evelin

evelin
    Expand Collapse

I'm actually quite unsettled to see how much factual money I spent on the game, around the 3 digits near the 4 digits. Now I'm off as well, since the community, if you are stuck in low ELO, just doesn't seem to be the least keen to communicate with their team through victory. I don't mind the time spent on the game... it was quite fun most of the times, but the money spent in there just wasn't worth it.

6. Rexxar

Rexxar
    Expand Collapse

The community can be quite toxic, indeed. But it's not that big of a deal if you mute those players. Also playing with friends solves this problem quite nicely, especially if you manage to gather a team of 5 and start playing. Nobody will call you a feeder or flame you this way.

7. comlink

comlink
    Expand Collapse

Fun game if you are playing a premade team with all of your friends together, its not so much a bad game as it is a bad community, people hate each other almost all the time, some really bad players in combination with some really angry teenagers makes the game not fun when you are playing with some random players, especially in ranked gameplay. Unless you got a bunch of friends playing this game with you, I wouldn't recommend this game.

8. BobTran

BobTran
    Expand Collapse

I agree that the community can be very displeasing for new players. This is precisely the reason why people that pick up the game eventually quit the game. The game is very team-based and everyone wants to win. I'm currently in Platinum I and the community is a little better here. The lower divisions are awful and everyone complains how they don't deserve to be in them. If you watch streams of high skilled players, you notice that the community is very friendly and they accept losses. The problem with lower division players is that they always blame others for their loss yet never ask themselves if they could've done better themselves.

9. EndlessTundra

EndlessTundra
    Expand Collapse

I played LoL regularly for about 6 months and enjoyed it a lot! I definitely agree with the rest of you about the community being a bit toxic, though I did think that the review process was pretty cool and helped keep people less trolly. I eventually stopped playing more because it got a bit repetitive and less because of people being jerks.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

I played a bit of League a few years ago and it was all good fun, but I`m not really into MOBA games at all. I feel like you spend a ton of time playing them, but you don`t really get any real benefit from those hours spent. And I mean this in comparison with MMORPG games, where all those hours at least give you a really good and powerful character.

11. Skill

Skill
    Expand Collapse

I'm currently platinum V. My trend of gaining one tier each season is finally coming to an end. In season 2 I was silver, season 3 I was gold, and season 4 I placed in mid platinum, so I actually dropped this season.

It seems like every season, I find a champion that I play well, then go hard with that champion:

In season 2, I learned Katarina and Vayne, and climbed out of bronze with them. Katarina was awesome at roaming, and Vayne was great at punishing poorly positioned Bronze players with her Condemn.

In season 3, I learned Jax/Ezreal, and climbed out of Silver with them. They snowballed hard at the time.

In season 4, my power champ was Kayle to get plat. Her ult is OP, and she did way more damage back then than she does now.

In season 5, It's Wukong jungle. I love his ability to sneak in with his w, it's almost like shaco q. He does good damage, tanks well, has a great ult, and can juke.

Right now I main jungle, but my main is always changing, and I can play any role. Kinda lost my drive for ranked though, I find it more stressful than fun. I mainly play with friends now-I'm looking forward to season 6 and the new rewards that come with it!

12. BobTran

BobTran
    Expand Collapse

I think MOBA games provide just as much benefit as MMORPG games. You're missing the point of MOBA games. Just as how you level up or enhance items to improve in MMORPG games, MOBA games are no different. Each game is an opportunity to improve your mechanics in the game and how well you can work with the team you've been placed in. MOBA games will never dull because unlike MMORPG games, there is no grinding involved. The thing about MOBA games is that there will always be someone to provide a challenge and that's what makes it addicting.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

I understand what you are saying and the appeal of a new challenge every time you play, but you don`t really have a solid gratification for the hours that your poured into said game. And by that, I mean, having a max level character in the case of MMORPG games vs. you having gained new knowledge on how to play the game. I understand what MOBA games are, don`t get me wrong, they are just not my cup of tea. I also agree on the fact that MOBA games will always be successful because they are competitive and good for a quick fix each time you play them.

14. TechFan

TechFan
    Expand Collapse

I'm a new player to League of Legends and I've liked the game so far. One reason might be that I have some friends to play it with so there is no mean comments from their part. When playing with random strangers and if for any reason they get extremely toxic I try to make them say things that can actually get them banned (I won't insult them though) . If they fall for it then I simply write a lengthy report on them. This way I've seen the system work more than once by having a message pop up after the game with this message "The Tribunal has taken xxxxx player behavior into consideration and we've taken action". Haha.. I'm not into it to get people banned though. I like how some characters are designed and really have a good time playing with the new character Kindred: for this one I did buy it with its skin. I would like to get into the upper ELOs because I've heard that the community is much nicer there. Probably one day I will.

Just considering the last post and giving my two cents in, I believe both MOBA's and MMORPG are great. At the end of the day we are just looking to have some fun, ain't we? :)

15. Skill

Skill
    Expand Collapse

Small piece of advice, don't bother typing out a report. The entire system is currently automated based on how frequently players are reported. If a player gets reported more than the average player, they get a chat restriction, temporary ban, etc. Just select the relevant report categories, report, and move on to another game.

Also, the upper ELOs are not nicer, trust me. I've reached Platinum and came close to diamond, and it's just as toxic as Bronze/Silver. I've also watched streamers in challenger, and it seems to be just as toxic there.

But keep in mind low levels(pre 30) is generally a worse community. The reason for this is because people that get banned make new accounts, and just take out their anger on new players.

16. TechFan

TechFan
    Expand Collapse

Thank's for the advice I won't write as long anymore. I'll be more concise cause eventually a reported player that's somehow banned by the system will see what someone wrote. I read this funny story from RIOT about a 10 year old kid who learned that he shouldn't use swear words against other players when he read a report written by another summoner. Then the boy wrote an apology email and this delighted the staff that works at the reporting system at RIOT INC so much that he got a special legendary skin. I'm not sure if the story is actually true...

Lately I've had mixed games, sometimes players are cool and add me to their friend list at the end of the game and other times when they are just plain toxic since minute 1. It's a good thing that I'm not intimidated by these 10 year olds with big mouths :) .

17. JC_2 2 4

JC_2 2 4
    Expand Collapse

I've currently played the game before Season 1 was even released, so roughly 5-6 years now and I've experienced everything that you guys have been posting about in this thread. Toxicity and flaming are very common in MOBAs such as League of Legends because it's very difficult to solo carry your team to victory if everyone else is weak or under leveled. There's a huge reliance on the teamwork aspects and it's common for a single mistake particularly during later moments of a match that can completely shift the advantage to the enemy or outright lose you the game.

With that being said, I'm still somewhat addicted to the game and regularly play with a lot of friends who I have known online for 8+ years. It's much more rewarding when you're using voice chat to communicate e.g. Skype than it is to play with random people who may not be as skilled or are having a bad day and taking out their own anger onto the team.

18. Skill

Skill
    Expand Collapse

I agree, but only if you have the right group of friends. When I first started playing with my friends, it was a lot more fun than playing with randoms. However, as my friends got better at the game, we started taking the game too seriously. We would yell at each other, blame each other for mistakes, give up too much, and overall act just like solo Q players do to each other. Nowadays I don't really enjoy playing with my friends as much because it feels like all of us just want to show off to each other instead of just having fun.

19. charris89

charris89
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you Chris. MOBA's aren't for me either. There is just a different feel to them. Where as to me MMO's just feel right. I love the questing and the environment. If I want to play with a team for a raid or dungeon, that's what I'll do. If I want to solo and be on my own while I explore a new area, I'll have the choice to do so. Sometimes I don't want to battle. I want to make a sword, or go fishing. Everyone is different, but to me MMO's will always be number one.

20. JC_2 2 4

JC_2 2 4
    Expand Collapse

That's very unfortunate. I've had a good group of friends who play online together for 5+ years now and while there have been the occasional argument here and there or flaming among each other, it's never become serious enough to affect our friendship. If things ever do get heated, playing an ARAM game tends to help take the tension off a bit and relax.