Internet Speeds Discussion

Discussion in 'Internet and Software' started by Gertrude, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Gertrude

Gertrude
    Expand Collapse

I'm not too well versed in this subject so I'd love to have some discussion about it so I can learn more, and I think if we can compare notes we might get better perspective on the speeds we get and if we are paying the right amount for it.

As of now I am getting 1.00Mbps upload and 0.50Mbps upload, and from time to time that will spike up to 2 or 3 Mbps but it's a bit rare and the upload stays mostly the same. I'm paying $25 a month for this service, and I'd like to ask you guys if you think that is a fair amount for the speed I get or if I should try and look for other alternatives that could maybe offer more.

As of now I don't get much problems with it but it does lag sometimes when I watch some streams or I have to settle with the lowest quality, but for youtube videos I don't have many problems with buffering. Also from time to time I get phases where the connection becomes terrible and I get disconnected a lot or it gets extremely slow where it becomes unusable, but thankfully it doesn't happen too often.

What is your internet speed like and how much do you pay for it? Do you think I am paying too much for what I am getting?

2. insane_pm

insane_pm
    Expand Collapse

I don't think you are getting your money's worth. I think calling and asking what's the deal would be a great idea. I certainly get my money's worth and get a constant 2-8 MB/S downloaf.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

For that amount if money, I'd definitely be expecting faster speeds than that, so I think a phone call to your ISP is on the agenda.

Aswell as asking for them to review your deal, I'd be asking for something in return aswell because you've been paying for an inferior service so they should st least offer you compensation for that.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess
    Expand Collapse

What is your internet speed like and how much do you pay for it?

My internet speed: 2 to 3 mbps as well

Price: 35 dollars per month

Do you think I am paying too much for what I am getting?

Yes, you are terribly paying too much for the service you are getting. Just like you, I get the same internet speed for a higher price each month. Our internet is bundled up with our landline so maybe that's why it has a higher price. Still, with that price, we should be getting a good internet speed, no buffering of videos on YouTube and fast download speed.

My husband lived in the US for a while and he said that his data services on his mobile are even faster than our internet connection here. Can you imagine just how fast the internet in America is?

I'm quite sad because a well-known internet provider was about to come into our country but was stopped. I guess the internet service providers already here gave some money to the authorities to stop Telstra from entering our country.

5. SashaS

SashaS
    Expand Collapse

I have noticed that for gaming, ping matters more than speed. In South Africa internet isn't exactly cheap. We're paying what's equal to $100 per month for 4Mbps download. ( Uncapped & unshaped.) But our local line limits that to 200 kilobytes per second download speed. So a 1GB download will take about 2 - 3 hours.

I can only watch YouTube at about 480p without constant buffering. I'm not complaining though. For example in Cuba, there is a 1GB line for the entire country. Private internet services are only for companies and the general public has to share a single line. So the average household can probably only get 10 kbps which is unfortunate. Public WiFi is also very slow and rare here in South Africa, so consider yourselves lucky.