Internet in other countries

Discussion in 'Internet and Software' started by MeFuture1, Jan 6, 2016.

1. MeFuture1

MeFuture1
    Expand Collapse

What are the real restrictions on the internet in other countries? For example, I know that they say in China the government restricts a lot of what web users can access. Any thoughts?

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    Expand Collapse

I don't know much about how China restricts their people to internet. Well, it's not a surprise to me anymore since they have also implemented one child policy in their country before. Anyway, here in our country which is Philippines, as far as I know, our government doesn't have any restrictions regarding internet usage/access.

3. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

I am under the impression that only communist countries like China, North Korea and Cuba have restrictions on internet and that in the rest of the world is free. Sad that they have limitations.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

As far as I'm also aware it's only countries such as China and north Korea that limit the internet access.

Isn't it China that even restricts or blocks access to Google now also, as they direct people to use their own Chinese version?

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Most western countries, including most of the EU countries and the USA restrict access to the internet. Sure no one tells that straight to your face but it's true.

I've been to countless countries and the only ones where it really was a problem were some of the Arabic ones. They have pretty high restrictions and often I ran into the "website blocked" announcement.

6. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

I heard recently about Turkey blocking access to some websites who weren't so complementary of their prime minister. Pretty clear example of censorship in my view. I've heard there's a workaround in China to access sites like Facebook and YouTube, so I guess their censorship isn't working as well as they would like it.

7. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

There are several workarounds. I have a friend who did a teaching gig in China for the last year - she just got back a month ago - and before she left one of her relatives got her a USB stick that bypassed the blocks and allowed her to look at whatever she liked. I don't know exactly what the USB stick did - or, rather, the software on the stick, I guess - but she had no problems accessing Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, all the stuff that might normally get you in trouble over there.

8. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean that US and European countries restrict access? What sort of sites or contents are they blocking? I've never come across that, at least that I've noticed it.

pwarbi likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I also have to admit that I've never come across any sites being blocked by governments in countries like the UK or the US either and I hope this thread isn't going to turn into some conspiracy theorists dream!

I'm sure that internet access is being monitored, but only for antiterrorism purposes rather than anything else.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe
    Expand Collapse

I don't think there is country that is so restricted as North Korea at this point in time. They have a local network and if students want to do searches outside the country they have to put forward a request in written form to a supervisor. All their movements are controlled and can only go to the pages requested.

11. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Definitely. The internet police as we know it has to be Google haha, they squeeze all our info to be even richer, but NSA and other agencies are for sure filtering all we say. In my case, they are not getting much though. :D

12. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Well for example I'm visiting the USA now and I cannot place sports wagers because the website is blocked. That's the only one I've come across but I'm sure poker websites etc are blocked too. In europe a lot of internet operators, at the request of governments, block similar things. Gambling, torrent networks etc.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's just the truth. You can google it and see the type of websites that are being blocked, the information is out there you just need to look... obviously the mainstream media isn't going to make news about it as people would, in general, object to having their access restricted.

13. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, that's another matter because sports betting and downloads are indeed controlled because they violate certain laws from certain countries. I do agree it's true, there is much we are unaware of.

14. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Sports betting is against the law in most US states, and as such the websites are blocked. Online dating, reading western news etc are against the law in some countries, and as such the websites are blocked. Exactly the same thing, it's just that in certain countries the restrictions are more widespread than in the west.

15. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I agree that some control has to exist. As you mentioned online dating I have to say I find revolting that there is advertising saying, come here for a date, specialized site for married people, you will not get caught...!!!

16. briannagodess

briannagodess
    Expand Collapse

In my country, there is no censorship or bans that I'm aware of. I do know that China and North Korea have some strict regulations regarding their internet use. It's extremely bad for North Korean citizens since only the politicians or elites can use the internet. Normal citizens have intranet called Kwangmyong which features a search engine, email and some news coverage. That's not the only problem, most people don't have computers as well because you'd need permission from the government to get one.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I font agree with that sort of thing either but to call it revolting is a bit strong I think. In my opinion people can do what thryvwant with their lives as long as it doesn't affect me, who am I to judge?

I do think the advertising though needs to be more exclusive and only available on certain sites. I remember once checking the sports results and this half dressed female popped up which I thought was a bit inappropriate.

18. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

That is correct, there is free will and that is why this world is the way it is. For me it's revolting because I feel relationships deserve trust and respect and a service that sells the opposite has no decent values imo.

19. bleblanc10

bleblanc10
    Expand Collapse

I do know that China does block a lot of websites but I am not sure about other countries.

20. Sparkster

Sparkster
    Expand Collapse

Yep, there are indeed quite a few countries who have imposed these restrictions. In a way, you have to acknowledge that it may be necessary. We are indeed now in the days of cyber warfare and cyber terrorism. However, if the Outernet project actually goes ahead, which was due to come to fruition this year, then anyone in the world with a WiFi device will be able to access the internet for free without restriction.