How many devices can one network device handle?

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Computer Hardware' started by Ginnie, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Ginnie

Ginnie
    Expand Collapse

So I have four to sometimes five devices that all connect to the same networking device in the house. I was curious as to how many devices can one networking device handle on average? Because sometimes if all devices are using the internet, I notice that it slows down another connection or it loses connection. So I was wondering if networking devices have limits. Thanks!

2. Lynk

Lynk
    Expand Collapse

I have connected up to 7 or 8 devices through Bluetooth in my house without any problem or slow down. My main issue is that there are a lot of walls in my house so devices that are far away from the wireless router sometimes have problems. I have a booster unit but it still kind of depends where I am trying to use the devices in the house. I think open floor plans help but of course we have to make due with the house we have!

3. Ginnie

Ginnie
    Expand Collapse

That's probably what it is. The walls in this house are pretty thick that it intercepts the signal from the internet. Sometimes I can't even get a good signal with my phone and I have to sit near a window.

4. Pabmart

Pabmart
    Expand Collapse

I usually have 3 devices connected all day, and depending on whether I add more or do something very demanding, like downloading a file, my connection starts going really slow. I guess that it depends on the speed that you payed for.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe
    Expand Collapse

It really comes down to your access point or router, in my case I can only have two hard connections and four soft connections. The best way to find out is to read your owners manual. The network will always slow down the more devices you put on it.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

As SirJoe said, it depends on your device. Most modern ones should easily handle 5 but you should check out the specific model to be sure. Network getting slower is normal, it's like having more cars driving on a highway, of course the traffic will slow down.

If it's a problem with too many devices (But I doubt it, like I said you should be fine with 5) then the only thing you can do is to get a better router.

7. Skill

Skill
    Expand Collapse

It depends entirely on the device. If you're using an ethernet hub, generally it can handle as many ports as it has, and a specific amount of throughput. If you're using a wireless device(most likely), it would depend on the quality of the device, but also interference.

My advice is to use wired whenever possible. Desktop PCs should be plugged in with ethernet if you can get a line there. If you can't use ethernet, consider a powerline adapter, as they are very easy to use compared to running cable, as it runs through the electric setup of your house.

It's ideal to reserve wireless for devices that generally rely on being portable, ie phones(for downloading apps at home so you don't waste your limited data), tablets, laptops, etc.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I don't think there's a set rule or limit as to how many devices you can connect as it will depend on how strong your connection is in the first place.

Obviously the less you have connected at any one time, the better the performance will be. If you do have various devices though, connect and disconnect them until you get the right compromise.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    Expand Collapse

I believe the maximum number of devices that can connect to a network is 10. However, here in our house, we're only actively using 4 devices, and the connectivity is pretty decent.

10. greenspring

greenspring
    Expand Collapse

It will depend on your device and the internet speed will depend on your ISP. The maximum wireless devices that could connect to a network would be 31 while the number of wired devices will depend on how many ports your device has. You need to get a wireless AC router to have better area coverage and network speed.

11. PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza
    Expand Collapse

If your problem is slow internet after connecting a bunch of devices, the problem is most likely with your internet bandwidth and not the device. If you have a 4Mbps internet connection and 4 devices connect to it, each device will only get a piece of that 4Mbps. Sometimes all 4 would get 1Mbps each, sometimes 2 of them would get 2Mbps and the other two would get 512Kbps, etc.

Wireless network devices do have a limit on them, but not really in a very limiting way. Wifi devices have a limit because of the available spectrum bands on the device. If the device only has 10 spectrum bands you can connect to, then you can only add 10 devices to it. More than that just simply won't connect.

12. SirJoe

SirJoe
    Expand Collapse

When connecting new devices you have to remember that the network speed will slow down. If all of the devices are being used at the same time your speed will be extremely slow. So only connect what you really need.