Grand Strategy Games

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by NGinCreator, Dec 8, 2015.

1. NGinCreator

NGinCreator
    Expand Collapse

One of the game types unique to PC is grand strategy. The kind of game where you control large territories on a map and make your way to victory. This description is kind of vague to those not knowledgeable of what I'm talking about. Games fitting this category are Civilization, Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis.

Civilization can easily by seen as the easiest and least complex (and thus the most casual friendly) of these games. The others are far more complex and intimidating. I personally am interested in this genre, but I am too intimidated by the myriad of game mechanisms and the seemingly infinite amount of UI buttons on some of these games.

These games are also not limited to pure historical strategy. For Sci-Fi fans out there (me included) there is Civilization: Beyond Earth, Distant Worlds (think Spore's space stage as a grand strategy in 2D view), and the entire 4X strategy sub-genre.

Do you play any grand strategy games? Tell us about your experience.

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Civilizations are fun but the last one was a complete mess.

If you are interested in world war two then check out Hearts of Iron. They are awesome and a new one should be coming out soon!

3. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely love this genre. Crusader Kings was my first foray into the genre and I played that for a really long while before I discovered Europa Universalis. EU is great because you can install plenty of mods and have some really great custom scenarios. I'm not a huge fan of overpopulating a game with mods so I only play with one and I can't exactly remember what's its name, but I know it sets the end time to the year 9999 and that just makes it a lot easier. I was really upset when I finished my first campaign because of the time limit but haven't reached half of my goals and that's why I don't ever start a game without that mod.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

Your right when you say that these types of games are almost exclusively made for PC's and I wonder why that is?,surely there are some console owners out there that also enjoy these types of games, and you'd expect the game developers to have broadened the amount of devices the games can be played on.

5. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

Well most strategy games are PC exclusives and I'd say it's because it's easier for controlling the game using the mouse. Gives better range of motion and all that. I don't think I could by any chance play a strategy game using a controller from a console. It would just feel awkward.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

Is that not only because of what your used to tho? Surely you'd think with the popularity of the genre that game developers would at least try and release a game such as this and see what potential it may have on the console?

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

With most games you can simply edit a file to change the year. And of course there are mods that do it for you.
    But yeah, this trick is almost mandatory for me too, I absolutly hate it if the game is still undecided and you suddenly get a message "game over" since you hit the time limit.

8. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

Hm, I did not know that. Had no idea. And that's really embarrassing since I like to call myself a programmer (I literally work as one) and this thought never occurred to me. Here I've been going around praising the people who made the mod as black magic wizards and all it took was editing a file. Hah!

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Haha. Yeah I'm no programmer but the couple of games that I've played (Hearts of Iron comes to mind) all I needed to do was open one of the files and change the ending year from there. Of course I didn't figure that out myself but luckily some people posted it online on the forums.

10. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

I'm trying to hide the embarrassment in the fact that I'm actually a web developer and have little to do with actual software development. I actually used to do a lot of 'hacking' back in the day or I guess you can call it 'modding' nowadays on games that didn't have such good protection against the stuff.

11. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

I did that with Europa Universalis 4 and it borked my game until I switched it back. Not sure if I did something wrong - it's a pretty simple switch - but there you have it. Might have been something to do with the later patches adding more layers of coding to change, or something. I do not know.

But yes, needless to say, I love grand strategy games. All of Paradox's stuff immediately jumps to mind, and occasionally I'll break out Civ if I want a 'lighter' experience. Which is a weird thing to say, since Civilization games are still pretty complex compared to most other titles, but there you go. Regardless, the experience of crafting a nation from the ground-up is highly addictive, especially when you have to vie against unbalanced odds. I love going with a North American tribal nation in EU4 and working up to an empire that can repulse European nations.

12. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

Grand Strategy games are one of my favorite types of games, besides RPGs. I really love anything from Civilization to Alpha Centauri, and have played both Crusader Kings I and II, as well as, EU 3 and 4 the longest from any of my games. It is true that they can be a bit intimidating for new players, but you can find all the info, guides and tips that you need online. There is a huge community for these games.

13. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Yeah they are hard to start with but once you have played these games for a while you have a feel for it and even the new ones are easy to get started with. Of course there are always a few things that can be hard to figure out but like you said, the community is helpful.

14. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

After a while you will definitely get the hang of them. And after that it is only a matter of learning new mechanics. But it is worth it, for sure.

15. bleblanc10

bleblanc10
    Expand Collapse

I really loved the Civ games and the Rome Total War was a blast.