Does anyone use Windows Phone?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by OctavianC, Nov 25, 2015.

1. OctavianC

OctavianC
    Expand Collapse

I'm curious if anybody uses Windows Phone and why, when you could use Android or Apple(if you have the money)? I find Android way more useful and I don't understand why would someone choose Windows (not that I have anything against people who do so)

2. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

I used Windows Mobile 6 some years ago and that was out of pure ignorance. Back then though, I found I was able to do the same thing with my HTC as I could now with my LG with Android. I could still use Skype, email, facebook, twitter... I never needed anything more than that. Of course, that was 5-6 years ago and I don't actually have experience with Windows Phones, but I assume people want basic functionality out of their smartphones, not mobile games or whatever fancy apps Android or iOS can offer, so they choose something that's maybe more affordable and gives them the service that they need.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

Windows phones seem to have developed a sort of cult, niche following and I think once your used to the OS, it's probably difficult to switch as it is totally different to what you'd find in an android or iOS device.

Personally I've used a Windows phones maybe once or twice, but they do seem limited and just one look at the apps available compared to other devices to see that they can't do as much as the others.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I have not yet tried using a Windows Phone yet, but it looks pretty interesting, and efficient. I am actually more of an Android fan, but if you are going to ask me, I would rather buy a Windows Phone than an iOS.

5. PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza
    Expand Collapse

I had two Lumias. The phones are not terrible. Not quite as versatile as Android, but it worked very well. Extremely user friendly and it played well with my Windows computer environment. Nice and fast, and the phone itself was tough as nails.

But I have since switched to a LG G3 flashed with Cyanogenmod.

6. Pabmart

Pabmart
    Expand Collapse

I've tried a Nokia for a while and it was not bad, but I felt like the system was kinda limited (There wasn't a Youtube app). Maybe with time it has grown.

7. Arvis

Arvis
    Expand Collapse

I recently got used Nokia Lumia 920. It may be slightly more limited than an Android competitor but it really has everything I need - fast browser (even though it's called Internet Explorer), social network application and a great camera. And once you get used to Windows Phone, it seems to be very handy. I'm not sure about Windows Mobile though, as far as I know it's a whole different thing, way worse than WP.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

The actual Nokia phones was never the issue, it was the Windows OS that people struggle to get to grips with.

Microsoft seem quite content though to keep the share of the smartphone market that they've got and at the moment at least, don't seem to be interested in gaining more users which I think is a little strange.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. Nokia used to be THE best (though a bit overpriced) when it came to phones. Always good quality and very durable... they even used the lumia's screen as a hammer and the nails went into the wood and the screen stayed just as it was. But the windows OS... yuck. Tried it a couple of times, didn't like it at all.

So Android for me.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

The Nokia devices like you say we're famous for the durability and who can forget the battery life!

The question is now that Nokia aren't under license to Microsoft anymore, will their android devices be able to compete with the likes of Samsung in the future?

11. FinalFantasyX

FinalFantasyX
    Expand Collapse

I had one Nokia 610, it has Windows Phone 7 and it has less apps on Store, because Windows Phone 8 was released at the time. But the phone has a nice homescreen and it's very fast, even if it has only 256 mb ram! But now I switched to Android smartphone because it got old. But it I liked the phone!

12. Havok360

Havok360
    Expand Collapse

Nokia phones are quality phones with affordable rates the thing is they haven't seemed to crack mainstream consciousness and their advertising doesn't target the new generation so I can see why they aren't really thought of as lifestyle phones unlike Samsung and Apple phones. Windows seem outdated even though they're technology is perfectly functional. I had Nokia phones in the past and I trusted it to perform and it did.

13. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

Actually Microsoft bought out the whole mobile business from Nokia. Nokia is still somehow involved in the mobile devices market (tablets etc) but I'm not sure if there is or will be a Nokia phone coming out anytime soon.

14. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

I have Lumia Microsoft Phone and I`m really happy with it. It has a decent camera, enough storage space and I find Cortana to be really funny, as they actually hired the voice actress of Cortana from the Halo games for the phone software. I also like Windows 8 and find it easy to use on the phone. I really hate Windows 8 on a PC, but for a phone, I think it works very well.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

Microsoft paid a lot of money, tens of millions to Nokia so they would use their OS on Nokia devices exclusively for a set amount of time. That deal finished earlier this year, and while Microsoft still hold the license to the Windows OS (obviously) and they also own the name Lumia now, the actual partnership between the two companies is no more.

That effectively means that Nokia can come back into the mobile phone market but choose what OS they will use, they're no longer tied in to Microsoft.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I think that a lot of Windows phones users are happy with the device, and it's built up a bit of a cult following. While I think it's clear that the Windows OS isn't as open as android, it suits the users so they'll tend to stick with it, rather than change to android or even the dreaded iOS.

17. Arvis

Arvis
    Expand Collapse

Nokia isn't (or at least wasn't) the only smart phone manufacturer who uses Windows Phone. But yeah, they would probably be a lot more successful if they used Android. I remember when Nokia with Symbian OS was ruling the smartphone market back in the days.

18. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

The only problem I have with the device, is, that most good apps and mobile games are somehow not available for Windows phones. I don`t know where this trend came from, but almost anything I would spend money on, mobile wise, is only available for Android or iOS. Really annoying.

19. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I think only the main apps are available, such as Twitter, Facebook, that kind of thing because of the popularity of them. If Microsoft had their way there wouldn't be them apps either.

Microsoft like to control every aspect of what they produce, and in the mobile market in some respects they're a lot like Apple.

20. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, they probably would only allow apps that they produced for their phones as well. That is a really bad move from Microsoft, because that is exactly what would turn customers off of buying a Windows Phone and what causes them to be not really popular with people.