Does anyone remember Theme Hospital?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by ocx, Nov 11, 2015.

1. ocx

ocx
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Does anyone remember this awesome game? :D

I first played it when I was in elementary school, on a playstation 1 and had a real blast with it. When I got older, I started missing this game so I took a look if it was available for PC, too. Fortunately, it is indeed available!

What did I like about this awesome game you might ask? Well, first off, you get to build your own hospital, there are challenges and the diseases are just funny. Let me give you an example, there is one patient that needs a psychiatrist because he is literally convinced that he is Elvis Presley. LOL!

The stages are really challenging, you will be given a first budget to build your hospital on, hire your own staff, and they can also resign or ask for a raise too! I believe it's pretty realistic (aside from the funny diseases). As you play the stage, you will be given a chance to build a research lab, every stage will come with a new form of disease and it will be up to you to on how to cure those diseases.

This game challenged me and the same time made me laugh.

Anybody else know about this game? :D

2. Mandhlenkhosi

Mandhlenkhosi
    Expand Collapse

Personally I haven't played it, but I've seen lots of gameplay of it. It actually looks like a really fun, interesting game! It was one of Bullfrog's great games; although that's from what I've seen, so please keep that in mind! :p I do prefer Dungeon Keeper though, it was more my style.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I certainly remember theme hospital and I spent many hours playing this game. For a concept so simple, it was certainly very addictive. There was also theme park as well, and if they had wanted to, I'm sure they could have carried the series on.

4. Asha

Asha
    Expand Collapse

Oh my God yes! I loved that game when I was a young teenager. I remember always getting frustrated with having enough janitors to clean up patient vomit though. Lost many hours to playing it.

5. Jordan1994

Jordan1994
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I used to play that a lot when I was younger. I loved it!

6. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

Some of the ailments that your hospital patients got swell though could be a bit obscure. A particular favourite of mine was probably the bloaty head!

I can't remember a lot of the others but I just remember it being a decent, funny and addictive game to play.

7. Lynk

Lynk
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I'm a little weird but love unusual games like this! The bloaty head was hilarious! Any time they inject a sense of humor into games like this I really enjoy it! :)

I thought this game was a little difficult to control but a lot of fun, reminded me of the old Operation board game!

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I was informed that if you've got a PS3, you can actually still download this game on there from the PlayStation store, but I don't know how true that is or if anybody as tried to do that?

9. Chris_A

Chris_A
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, Theme Hospital is one of the craziest games that I ever played. So good that Good Old Games have revamped it to work on modern systems without any trouble. I will definitely check it out again for sure.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747
    Expand Collapse

YES! I'm a big fan of all these "tycoon" type games where you have to build something. Theme hospital, together with Rollercoaster tycoon were my favourites. Too bad most of the newer games of this type are absolutely horrible... I'm hoping the next RCT will be decent.

11. Emi

Emi
    Expand Collapse

I played this game avidly as a teen (both on PS1 and on PC) and then recently found that GOG was selling it - I picked it up during one of their sales. No regrets, still hilarious and fun to play even with dated graphics. Now that I'm older and know more about certain illnesses/how hospitals, doctors, etc. work it's even more hilarious to play. (I remember the disease causing long tongues and you had to slice them off...) The research lab really shocked me as a kid when I first sent a patient to it (!!!).

I wish more casual games released nowadays had the charm Theme Hospital had - many really fall short (or feel tedious).

@pwarbi : Yes, that's true! It's on the PSN store (https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...sic)/cid=UP9000-NPUJ00275_00-0000000000000001) and you can play it on PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. Price is the same as on GOG.

pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I think people that download it and play it in this day and age, while I'm sure the graphics won't be up to much by the standards we get these days, they'll still find that it's a great game to play.

13. PSyCHoHaMSTeRza

PSyCHoHaMSTeRza
    Expand Collapse

I grew up in a small town on the countryside of a third world country. So my first taste of this game was a pirated CD that we shared among my friends. Many years later, I noticed that it was part of Origins On The House deals.
    You're damn right I downloaded it again, just to watch the janitors clean up puke around my hospital.

14. LoyalServant

LoyalServant
    Expand Collapse

I still occasionally play this game when I have some free time! The concept is simple, the illustrations are humorous yet the game is extremely challenging.

The first few hospitals allow you to get familiar with the game but after that it get's crazy, more patients, more problems, more emergencies! It's a lot of fun when you can train your doctors so you don't have to go through your staff list to find two surgeons for the operating theatre.

For me the game became problematic when there were too many random events. It's understandable to have one or two earthquakes during your level but at one point they were repetitive and cost me way too much to win. Restart the level and the same thing happens, after a while I end up quitting and putting the game away for a while until a thread like this forces me to take it back out!

Do you guys have trouble playing on newer computers (graphics problems)?

15. bleblanc10

bleblanc10
    Expand Collapse

That game was something else!!!!

16. TheViper

TheViper
    Expand Collapse

I played this in school one time while we was in the library. The funny thing is it wasn't suppose to be there but kids were just installing games deep in the computer. At one point they had GTA and Halo up there for people to play.

17. bleblanc10

bleblanc10
    Expand Collapse

I LOVED that game