Chrome Will Stop Supporting XP & Vista

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Gertrude, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Gertrude

Gertrude
    Expand Collapse

I use a laptop that uses Windows Vista and recently I got a message on my chrome browser that it will stop getting updates or support or something to that effect. I'm wondering how long I can still use it because it's my favorite browser. Do you guys think I'll eventually have problems with it and that I will probably have to switch to another browser? Will my extensions stop working as well?

2. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I posted about this in the Windows 10 thread as well. You'll probably be forced to switch eventually in general unless you shut down automatic updates, as Windows 10 is getting forced onto Windows users. I don't know that Chrome will out and out stop working, but you may find it a whole lot less useful as time goes on. The same is probably true for other browsers as well. It also won't be as secure since you won't be getting security updates, which is problematic in and of itself.

3. Petesede

Petesede
    Expand Collapse

No, it is doubtful you will ever have to switch or it will ever stop working. You just will stop getting updates automatically. Theoretically, this could open up some security risks in the future, but probably not. Also, Google is phasing this in, so even if they stop updating Chrome for your OS, it will be awhile before any of the patches you miss will be anything significant. My guess is your laptop will give out before you have any issues with Chrome not getting updated for your OS.

4. insane_pm

insane_pm
    Expand Collapse

Man, that sort of sucks. I can understand lack of support for XP, but Vista? I know that it isn't exactly the most liked OS out there but it's very similar to Windows 7 in many regards and it's surprising how they won't accommodate it.