Bill Gates

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MeFuture1, Jan 9, 2016.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget though, you say that a lot of rich people don't help, but a lot do, they just choose not to make it public and would rather give to charity anonymously.

In a way I think that's the right way to do it, because giving to charity and then telling everyone about it makes it look like your only doing that to get some credit for yourself.

UnslaadKrosis likes this.
  2. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

That is correct too pwarbi, but at the same time eventually Gates made it public because these are things of huge dimension and the media is interested in them, so he really didn't have a choice.

3. UnslaadKrosis

UnslaadKrosis
    Expand Collapse

Actually, he did have a choice. Let me be clear, (as I don't want to get misunderstood), I'm not criticizing Gates for his philanthropy. rather I'm really glad that some people are giving something back to the society that has made them who they are, and a lot more people would do that. But that doesn't mean that he had no 'choice' but to make his philanthropic activities public. A perfect example of what I'm trying to say here would be the story of Chuck Feeney, the man who inspired Gates and Warren Buffet to give away their money for good causes. He almost gave away the entirety of his 7.2 Billion $ wealth to charity, and almost nobody knew about it for a whole 15 years. And when they did know, it was from none other than Bill Gates himself who told the media about this man.

pwarbi likes this.
  4. Petesede

Petesede
    Expand Collapse

One of the things not many people know about Gates is that he took a huge gamble on himself very early which is the only reason Microsoft became what it is today.

In the early days, IBM hired Bill Gates to create an operating system. When it was finished, they intended to buy it from him for a few million dollars, which almost everyone in the world would have jumped on. But Gates said.. instead of giving me the $5 million dollars, I want you to give me $20 for every computer you install my operating system on. That was a huge gamble at the time because even IBM wasn´t sure how big of a market home computers would become.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

While I agree that it was a gamble, I think himself and IBM would have had some foresight into how computers were slowly starting to change the world.

I'm not saying he could have known just how big it's got, but he would have had a rough idea that by IBM offering that amount of money as an upfront payment, they themselves knew it was only a matter of time before the computer generation exploded.