Bill Gates

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MeFuture1, Jan 9, 2016.

1. MeFuture1

MeFuture1
    Expand Collapse

Is Bill Gates still the world's richest man? It's pretty crazy that he wasn't college educated and was able to build up one of the biggest software companies ever.

2. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich
    Expand Collapse

According to a Forbes list from last year, Bill Gates is currently the world's richest man with a net worth of USD $79.2 billion. (I'm not sure how long he has held that ranking, and if he has held it consistently. I seem to vaguely recall that there were a few times in years past that someone else on this list had surpassed him--albeit only briefly, apparently.)

Honestly, I have a lot of respect for Gates--considerably more than I had a decade or so ago. Even though he was hardly the greatest and most talented programmer, he was tenacious and built a massive business empire. Say what you well about that empire's tactics and ethics, but Gates has moreover put his fortune to good use indeed through the charitable efforts of The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation--to an extent that I wish more super-rich people did.

3. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

Bill Gates had coding skills adequate enough to get him started and combined with his other skills I would say that makes him a pretty formidable developer as well as business man. As for his net worth, he has swapped richest man in the world status with the owner of Ikea a time or two, but yeah he has been on top for a long time now depending on who is reporting it.

4. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

It only proves we don't need to go to college to excel at work, it's all about our capacities. Even being the richest man in the world he continues to work for the projects he consider to be worthy.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I think most people will have respect for Bill Gates because of what he's achieved and how far he's come.

He was a pretty clever person when it came to coding and computers anyway so even if he didn't form and develop Microsoft into the company it is now, he'd still have been able to earn a decent living anyway.

6. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

Just because he didn't need to finish college to be successful doesn't mean that would be true for everyone else.

aboleth_lich likes this.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    Expand Collapse

Well, I believe that education is still very important. It's something no one can ever take away from you. Anyhow, not all college dropouts became as successful as Bill Gates.

aboleth_lich likes this.
  8. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

I agree with that and I believe we can pick up valuable information at college, but it's not something mandatory. Either cases, there aren't many with the vision of Gates.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

While there seems to be a lot of people that don't have any formal education or qualifications that have made a success of their life, there's many more that have dropped out of college or school that haven't, and so as others have said, education is still important.

We can't all be the next Bill Gates now can we and most people will ONLY be able to succeed WITH the qualifications they manage to acquire.

aboleth_lich likes this.
  10. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

Wow, really? I kept hearing about how he's no longer the richest man in the world and how he's given away all his wealth to charity and I really thought this topic was a bit silly. He isn't CEO of Microsoft anymore though, is he?

11. smtg

smtg
    Expand Collapse

He's not the world's richest. That's what they tell you, but there are people above him that have much more money. ;)

12. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

Yes, actually he is. You don't have your facts straight.

CEO is a position in a company. One can own a corporation and not be the CEO you know. There are many publicly traded corporations in which the majority share holder chooses not to fill the CEO role personally. That doesn't make them have less money or lose the profit from their shares or cause them not gain anything from the company. It just means that somebody else is running it. Giving money to charity and supporting charitable projects does not mean he gave away all his money either. You are making way to many assumptions.

oportosanto likes this.
  13. nusster

nusster
    Expand Collapse

Nah, dude, you're making way too assumptions about my question.

14. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

lol classy post there nusster. :)

That is true, Gates can afford to help other causes with donations because he's filthy rich and at the same time he can have massive tax deductions for doing it, so it's financial engineering too.

15. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to pretend for a moment that you weren't trolling me and that you were making a real comment that was supposed to add value to the discussion, not to just aggravate me. I'm not making assumptions, but you were. He didn't give away all his money just because he is involved with charity or making donations, he is still at the top of the list when it comes to wealth, and being CEO or not isn't relative to his wealth.

#15 nytegeek, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  16. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

That is correct @nytegeek. I think that when people reach that level of wealth they have two choices, blow is away like crazy or give something back to society, and that's what he's doing.

17. Elfprincess

Elfprincess
    Expand Collapse

I can't believe that Gates has teamed up with John Green. I really dislike the dude, despite his involvement in charity.
    Not only he writes shitty novels, but he also trivializes issues by speaking about them like a three years old.
    'Decreasing world suck and increasing awesome'. Jesus CHRIST, if you were the one dying of starvation, you wouldn't call deadly hunger a 'world suck'.
    What a surreal pair of people.

18. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

That's the world we have elf princess. When we live in a world ruled by capitalism some are filthy rich and millions are poor, so we have to rely on their charity to see some things done.

19. pwarbi

pwarbi
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure that Bill Gates is in a position where he can win either way here. He gives to charity and tries to help.people and it gets said he's only doing it for tax purposes and he's that rich that he SHOULD help out those less fortunate.

If he didn't give to charity then he would be chastised for not sharing his wealth and he'd be called selfish and unattached from the real world.

It is hard to feel sorry for a guy who's probably one of the richest in the world, but on this occasion I do think he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

aboleth_lich likes this.
  20. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

The fact that he helps is what matters the most to me. How many are filthy rich and don't do anything? Are those criticized? They aren't, most of them we don't even know they exist as they live in a bubble away from the real world.

aboleth_lich likes this.