Best place to buy a new hard drive for my laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Computer Hardware' started by RavenLily, Jan 15, 2016.

1. RavenLily

RavenLily
    Expand Collapse

I have an HP Envy M6 laptop that is in great condition other than it needing a new hard drive according to HP. Everything was fine for about a year, but ever since the warranty expired I have been having major overheating issues. I have bought a few cooling trays and none have solved the problem. I do not do any hardcore gaming on the thing, just basic surfing the internet, so that is not the case. I have done some research online and it seems this is a problem with the Envy's themselves. I have read of others having the same problems. I did a full test through the troubleshooting and my DST failed, which means the hard drive is failing according to the HP website. I should say was failing being that it has completely died on me. I am in desperate need of a new hard drive but don't want to spend a bunch of money for a laptop that is over 3 years old. Any suggestions on where I Can get a new hard drive that is inexpensive but will still do the job?

2. R34Dream

R34Dream
    Expand Collapse

I would try Amazon first. Try to avoid the Bulk or OEM Hard Drives on Amazon, as they are usually scams (used HDDs selling as new). If you feel like the prices are too high on Amazon, try eBay next. But be sure to tread carefully! Make sure the seller has excellent ratings and you can trust them to avoid getting ripped off and getting a fake hard drive. P.S. I have the same laptop! To fix the cooling problems you can buy a new fan from HP Parts. It shouldn't be too hard to fix by yourself. Best of luck in your purchases and searches! :)