Best Free Recording Software

Discussion in 'Internet and Software' started by MeFuture1, Jan 4, 2016.

1. MeFuture1

MeFuture1
    Expand Collapse

I've been using a free version of Fruity Loops to record music. Any suggestions on other platforms to use that might be better for recording vocals?

2. SLTE

SLTE
    Expand Collapse

Haven't recorded vocals before, but as far as recording and editing interviews for school I found Audacity quite useful. Free, robust, complete tool that covers most audio-related bases. Overall I'd say the quality of your mic is probably more important than the program you use, though.

R34Dream likes this.
  3. R34Dream

R34Dream
    Expand Collapse

+1. Audacity works great for audio editing if you're using it for school projects or simple homemade music recording. The option to add add-ons and use things like third party auto-tune make it a great tool, considering that it's free of charge. It's quite intuitive and easy to use as well.

4. bleblanc10

bleblanc10
    Expand Collapse

Not sure, sorry.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess
    Expand Collapse

I'd vote for Audacity as well. I used it before to edit some audios and it worked perfectly. It might take a while before you get used to it though. But trust me when I say that it has a complete set of features. You can amplify the audio, remove noise or add some effects. The best part is that it is free!

I'd also suggest Ocenaudio. This is a simpler type of audio editor. It doesn't have as many features as Audacity but it is clean and easy to use. Very good for newbies in audio recording and editing.

Some also say that Hokusai is a great audio editing tool. I haven't checked that out so I cannot vouch for it. I do know it allows some upgrades for a certain fee but the software itself is free.

6. R34Dream

R34Dream
    Expand Collapse

Huh. Never knew about Ocenaudio, but it seems great as I don't have the time to fully learn Audacity, which I use now. I really like the color scheme and the interface of it... great for the small school projects that I have so often. Thanks for mentioning it!

briannagodess likes this.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster
    Expand Collapse

Fruity Loops is good, especially if you're using it for other things aswell as recording too. I've made many albums using Fruity Loops, although I use a lot of other software too. I agree that Audacity is probably one of the best when it comes to free audio programs. I've also used that quite a lot. It's like a cheaper version of Cool Edit Pro, although the results which can be achieved are nowhere near as high quality as Cool Edit Pro (which is why it's expensive).

8. briannagodess

briannagodess
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. As you've said, Audacity takes a great deal of time to learn. I even get lost on it still even if I've had it already for a while. Ocenaudio may not have as many features as Audacity, but it is very easy to learn. Good luck!

R34Dream likes this.