Are you satisfied about your internet speed?

Discussion in 'Internet and Software' started by FinalFantasyX, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack
    Expand Collapse

Apparently the internet in Japan is incredible. I wonder what makes it so good?

2. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

The router is supplied by the company that gives me the internet, it's a package they have. It's something that really doesn't annoy me because it's more than enough speed for me, but it's misleading to sell 100mbps when in fact it can be 10 times less in the wireless case.

Epicfied likes this.
  3. Havok360

Havok360
    Expand Collapse

I'm really satisfied with my internet speed considering we're subscribed to a family plan. I think it runs on 500mpbs but we have around 8 laptops and computers so it's a pretty good number plus we also get a free landline phone.

4. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Wow, now that's a big number of machines to have connected at home. 8 computers and laptops? How many people are living there? Also, 500mbps is very high, not common in my area.

5. djordjem87

djordjem87
    Expand Collapse

Download speed 10.20 Mbps and Upload speed 0.82 Mbps. I am not very satisfied but it is OK for the money. The thing is that Telekom has a monopoly on this and they give the signal to other providers so it depends on how willing they are to make it good and fair. I believe it can be much faster and that it should be much faster and for less money but then they would not be able to 'steal' from this poor people in Serbia. It is like an addiction and dealers. They give you the good stuff in the beginning and when you are hooked up they give you bits and pieces an arm and a leg.

6. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Yep, that's not much djordjem, but like you say, for that speed most likely you are not paying much and at the same time that's a decent speed if you don't have anything too demanding. Many times huge speed only serve for big downloads and uploads, not the standard navigation.

7. 111kg

111kg
    Expand Collapse

Just changed my Internet provider and now I have this speed:

[​IMG]

8. Epicfied

Epicfied
    Expand Collapse

9. CemeteryGates23

CemeteryGates23
    Expand Collapse

I'm very ambivalent about mine. First of all my country (Mexico) sucks as far as ISP service goes.
    It used to be mostly a monopoly, but now there are 4 big companies to choose from. However, only one of them offers static IPs, since they held a monopoly and all of the IPs were assigned (or so I was explained), so the rest only offer dynamic IPs. As a gamer who doesn't understand very much about this, it makes online gaming considerably more difficult, especially on PC.

Moving on... my ISP is among the two that are generally thought of as faster ones. I have my cable and internet with them (they're all triple service companies: phone, internet & cable), and while the speed is fairly decent for what I pay (about $40 USD monthly for both my services, 15MB connection speed), the service leaves much to be desired. The connection often drops for considerable time spans (think 3 hours) or goes for a fraction of its intended speed for hours, calling customer support is usually a 45-minute long ordeal only to have them waste 30 minutes of your time when they do pick up having you reset/unplug and plug back in the router for protocol.

10. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

This is something that always puzzles me a little as I thought that the download speeds would always be superior to the upload ones. So in your case, how can you have a superior upload speed 111kg?

11. 111kg

111kg
    Expand Collapse

I frankly don't know. Truth be told, I live in Romania and we are pretty well known for having one of the cheapest and the best Internet services. For instance, I am paying for that speed no more than $15/month.

12. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

That's not expensive at all... It's been a long time since I know how much exactly I am paying for my internet because I've bundled up services, but eventually it's more than that. I have 100 mbps of speed though.

13. bleblanc10

bleblanc10
    Expand Collapse

Mine is certainly efficient enough for me!

14. cortana

cortana
    Expand Collapse

I believe Comcast is soon to announce their gigabit product which I am really tempted to order, but at the same time, I literally have no need for it. I don't download anything and the only thing I stream is Pandora.

http://www.xfinity.com/gigabit-internet.html

But if you're a big movie streamer or file sharing kinda person, then you'll benefit from this.

If you look at the bottom chart on that link, it tells you that it takes 27 minutes to download a 5gb movie on their 25 plan. That's definitely not true. The few times I have downloaded something of that size, it took only a few minutes. I think Comcast is trying to pull a few tricks here by making it seem like your current speed is more pedestrian than it really is.

15. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

That is the fact, if we are streaming movies or other contents we need to have a good speed or else it will simply block. I do see some contents online as it's always smooth, most likely because I have a decent speed.

16. nytegeek

nytegeek
    Expand Collapse

At this point and time most of the population that owns computers does not have hardware or software that would even begin to take advantage of those kinds of speeds. Add to that the high likelihood that a significant portion of connecting points between the end user and what ever service they are utilizing, be it streaming or gaming, will be a at significantly lower bandwidth to begin with. Your connection is only as fast as the slowest link between you and what your are connecting to. It would be a waste of money to get an upgrade like that.

17. Summertime

Summertime
    Expand Collapse

I'm currently on college WiFi and it's pretty okay, for the most part. Except sometimes it goes down for hours at a time, for seemingly no reason. Which can be quite frustrating. However, when I'm back home, the WiFi is insufferable. The main option is Fairpoint, and the service is just abysmal. The download speed is something like 6-7 mb/s, while upload speed is .6 mb/s. Just awful

18. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

If I start talking about the wifi in the place where I work, that's a whole different matter. Ever since we have full coverage, the connection seems to be breaking every five minutes and no one has the capacity to solve this.

19. briannagodess

briannagodess
    Expand Collapse

I was satisfied with my internet connection which is the Sun Pocket Wifi with 3.6 mbps of data. But then, I realised just how slow it was especially when my school required me to use the internet most of the time. But we stuck with that data plan until I graduated college.

Then we changed into another brand which has a broadband wifi plan. It certainly is faster than our previous plan. But my husband broke my contentment by saying that his mobile data speed in the US was faster than our broadband plan. Lol.

20. oportosanto

oportosanto
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, there are huge differences in different locations and plans. Also, you need to check the memory of the computer. I had a computer that was extremely slow and that was not related to my internet speed.