Are there any Wireless User Groups (WUGs) in your area?

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Computer Hardware' started by NGinCreator, Nov 13, 2015.

1. NGinCreator

NGinCreator
    Expand Collapse

This year I learned from a college classmate about WUGs. Basically, a group of people create a wireless network over a (relatively) small geographic area like a city. These are created using Wi-Fi hardware operating at certain license-free frequencies. They can be used for internet access or to simply play networked games. I suppose some are used as intranets as well.

It all sounds a bit much for me as a networking newbie to set up on his own, but it does sound fun; and who doesn't love free internet? For those looking for more information, here is what I could find off google:

http://news.sabinet.co.za/2009/09/03/wireless-user-groups/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_user_group

The Cape Town WUG has its own wiki where they explain the basics. I'm assuming most users here are obviously not from Cape Town so I won't link it here so as to not seem like I'm advertising.

2. EndlessTundra

EndlessTundra
    Expand Collapse

It is definitely an interesting idea, but seems like it would be too easy to abuse. I wonder how they police public wifi like this?

3. AngryItalian

AngryItalian
    Expand Collapse

Policing public wifi is pretty similar to how hackers abuse and steal information from people. Accounts can easily be intercepted from cookies floating around on the network, as there are ways to capture a login and be able to read emails and gain bank access, which is clearly why many providers of free wifi suggest not to use personal accounts on an unprotected network, which you can easily run through a Socks 5 protocol to help prevent theifs from gaining control of your personal information and accounts. It can be a very dangerous thing to let happen.

4. Krisa

Krisa
    Expand Collapse

I've never heard of this before. Sounds like a good idea. There are always times when you may need wifi when you are away from home, away from your own wifi. I think the idea of keeping it a small network can reduce negative situations such as hackers being able to steal info. Also, they may be able to password protect the wifi and allow only the group members to access it via password.

5. jg0d

jg0d
    Expand Collapse

I personally wouldn't use the due to how easy it would be to steal peoples information and potentially exploiting into ones computer. People shouldn't be as comfortable as they are within a public network, it's so easy to gain full access of ones machine and traffic. I myself would not use the public internet provided.

6. NGinCreator

NGinCreator
    Expand Collapse

The CTWUG is moderated by the community. I haven't dug into it that much but I'm assuming they would have some security measures in place regardless. Aside from the WUG the provincial government is making efforts to roll out free wifi to the majority of the Cape Town metro area. Things like this WUG and other WiFi initiatives can help bridge the digital divide.