AMD's Upcoming CPU's May Contain up to 32 Cores!

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Computer Hardware' started by Skill, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Skill

Skill
    Expand Collapse

http://deliddedtech.com/2016/02/12/rumor-amds-zen-processors-may-feature-up-to-32-cores/

Thoughts? I think it's insane! Most CPUs nowadays only have 4-8 cores, 32 cores seems enormous. AMD's upcoming Zen CPUs sound like they will be insanely powerful. I'm starting to regret purchasing a quad core, i5 6600K, I should've waited for Zen. With Moore's law coming to an end soon and semiconductor fabs moving towards energy efficiency, this may be some of the fastest CPUs ever created. It's also exciting to finally see some competition for Intel, as their prices have been skyrocketing lately due to yield issues.

2. Petesede

Petesede
    Expand Collapse

It really depends on what you are doing, but there are limited returns. It is not like 16 cores are twice as good as 8 cores etc. And at least for me and what I do, the CPU is almost never the bottleneck anyway. I guess it depends on what you are doing, but for me, the CPU is usually waiting for the GPU anyway.

3. R34Dream

R34Dream
    Expand Collapse

This is all fine and dandy... until you think about the use for all those cores. There is nothing in existence (for an average consumer at least) that requires that many cores. Sure, you have bragging rights and could possibly be more future-proof, but the single-core performance is going to be a back-breaker. These things might be some great CPUs for servers, but I'm willing to bet even an i5 will blow these out of the water in terms on single-core performance. I'd rather have 4 powerful cores when I'm gaming, rather than 4 weak ones and 28 inactive cores. Just my 2c.

4. Petesede

Petesede
    Expand Collapse

It almost seems like a marketing ploy designed to trick people. The number of people who would even use 32 cores is tiny for home users. It isn´t even a matter of ´future-proof´ because as you mentioned, the individual cores are not going to keep up anyway. Seems to me to be an e-peen thing designed at tricking people.